The new Shiloh-range report

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

longhorn

The new Shiloh-range report

Post by longhorn »

Took the saddle rifle out for its 4th trip to the range this afternoon-wow, this is some rifle! I'm still "fire-forming" the newly annealed Starline brass I bought to go with the gun, so haven't bothered to chrono yet, but the load is 70gr GOEX ctg, Federal 215M, thick plastic wad, compressed to seat a 420gr. flatnosed Steve Brooks bullet with all lube covered for hunting/wandering ammo. 1250 fps, maybe? At any rate, I was pretty much fooling around, wanting to see how many I could shoot in a row without blow tubing (prairie dogs, anyone?)-rounds 1 through 7 in the string just slid into the chamber, 8 through 10 required just a gentle push with the thumb-I quit at 10, figuring that'd be plenty. Still wrestling with the sights-I widened that tiny rear notch (haven't filed the ears off yet), but my copper penny front sight has ended up a nub! Now, I think I've filed it down too far (of course). And I may have to contact Josh A. for some of those fat "press-fit" pennies-mine are a little loose for the slot. Maybe I need an uncirculated one....Then I shot 4 5 shot offhand groups at 50 yards-all 4 at 2-2.5" wide and 1-1.5" high. Very comfortable to shoot-balances just at the rear sight blade, doesn't wallop my cheekbone, and the recoil is "soft" for lack of a more scientific term. BTW, it's a 28" heavy half-octagon, weighs 10.5 pounds total. Kudos to the folks at Shiloh! :D
Denali

Post by Denali »

Longhorn,

Glad to hear your having fun with your saddle rifle. I should be getting mine in a month or so. Got a Shiloh 45-90 #1 last year and had so much fun with it I decided to order another one, this time a plain wood saddle rifle with heavy 26" octagon, slings, in 45-110. The other rifle was too pretty and a little heavy to bushwack around with. I want to give the Jones 480gr "hunter" a try. It shot extremely well in the 45-90 and I'm hoping it will with the -110.