casting ladles - Rowell vs. the world

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

cruzurr

Post by cruzurr »

Three years ago I bought the #1 and #2 Rowell ladels. They've taken on a real nice brownish-orange patina over that time while taking up space on my casting bench and rusting. This in itself is very remarkable because I live in a dry climate and most things don't rust! Perhaps someday I'll have them bronzed. :) For now I use the #2 to cast ingots on occasion, I have yet to find a useful purpose for the #1. Sooo, like all the others have stated, if you desire happiness and a fulfilling experience casting these big heavy bullets we shoot, stick with the RCBS or Lyman. Your karma will thank you.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I believe Randy Ruwe told me about the Rowell ladle at one of our 500 yard Machias shoots. Up till that time I had been using a RCBS ladle. The one pound Rowell ladle has given me more consistent 540 grain Paul Jones Creedmoor bullets; no doubt about it. I do not think that I would be interested in the 2 pound ladle because of the additional weight on the end of the handle. Try it, you will like it Brent. Randy speaks the truth!. The Marines must have trouble handling all that molten lead at one time! - former U.S. Navy Doctor.
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Hey Doc,

Now take it easy on us poor old Marines. We get to handle a lot of lead, however hot was not the problem and it sure as hell wasn't in no ladel, but it was moving at a pretty good clip when it came to that sicking stop. Right about then is when you got to pratice your trade a might.

Doc, from Marines everywhere "Thanks Man" and Semper Fi

Gunny
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I gotta say Gunny, in a bad situation I would much rather have a bunch of Marines around me than any other folks in the world! You guys are damn good at slinging the lead! I think what I like best about this ladle is the quantity of lead that I can dump in and on the mold. For me though it works best with a 50 pound pot. It is a little big for the Waage pot, and I have the one pound version of the Rowell ladle. - Mike
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Mike, I think that you may have hit on what makes the Rowell ladle work for some of us and not for others.

I use a 40 pound pot, I don't know how the Rowell would work with smaller pots, but I know it works very well with 25# and over. A large opening for the ladle is a necessity since it is about twice as large as a Lyman or similar ladle. My next smaller pot is a 30# electric, the 40# is propane, and they both work well with the Rowell.

The ability to be able to fill the ladle from the bottom of the pot is essential in my oppinion. I may be wrong, but it works well for me. Thanks Mike for the input and insight. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I threw away about $25 on a Rowell also, I tried and tried it, I finally gave it to a buddy that makes catfish sinkers.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter