ready made cartridges

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
rollo wilkinson

ready made cartridges

Post by rollo wilkinson »

hello, i am new and im not that keen on loading my own paper cartridges. is there such a thing as a ready made paper cartridge+bullet?
thanks
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Rollo,

Not that I have heard of.

Bob
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Rollo,

Some shooters use plastic tubes with one end closed. They pour the powder in the tube and then push the bullet into the open end a little so the tube is sealed. To load, push the plastic tube into the chamber, bullet first. When the bullet sticks to the rifling, pull the tube out with the bullet still stuck on the rifling and let the powder pour into the chamber. Close the breech, put on a percussion cap and fire.

This works best with a ringtail bullet and a tappered or christmas tree bullet.

Rich
HvyMtl

Ready made!

Post by HvyMtl »

Thanks Rich,

Thats a good idea and I'm going to try it at my next BP shoot. I usually load loose powder anyway so this will be faster.

Ken
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Rollo,
I enjoy cartridge making. If interested check "Cartridge Making Instructions" in this forum by Terry Behm. I have adapted his method to all the bullets I have shot through my carbine. Of course Rich Siegel has his own, as do others. It turned out also to be the most accurate way to deliver my bullet as well. I can appreciate your desire not to if that is your inclination.
Gregg
newshooter

Post by newshooter »

[quote="gmartin"]Rollo,
I enjoy cartridge making. If interested check "Cartridge Making Instructions" in this forum by Terry Behm. I have adapted his method to all the bullets I have shot through my carbine. Of course Rich Siegel has his own, as do others. It turned out also to be the most accurate way to deliver my bullet as well. I can appreciate your desire not to if that is your inclination.
Gregg[/quote]
Has anyone written a good book on the subject? I'd like to get a '63 myself someday and I'm not too clear on what info Shiloh sends with the rifle.
newshooter

Post by newshooter »

[quote="gmartin"]Rollo,
Gregg[/quote]
Has anyone written a good book on the subject? I'd like to get a '63 myself someday and I'm not too clear on what info Shiloh sends with the rifle.
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Newshooter,
I do not know of a book about contemporary cartridge making. Terry turned me on to ROUND BALL TO RIMFIRE, A HISTORY OF CIVIL WAR SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION, PART 2, FEDERAL BREECH LOADING CARBINES AND RIFLES. By Dean S. Thomas. This book deals with a whole variety of Civil War rifles, the paper cartridge Sharps among them. It is very thorough, but deals as much with the history of cartridge developement, patents, use in the field by troops, problems, etc. I don't suggest it for the information you are looking for as it covers so much ground.
Someone else may know of indeed such a book. At least a pamphlet perhaps. I hope so as well.
As far as owning a Shiloh '63?, can't live with out one!
Good luck, Gregg
1stregtengr

ready made cart for 59/63 sharps

Post by 1stregtengr »

Gentlemen,
At NSSA we have many who shoot a Sharps. I saw this post for a loader that looked very interesting, might want to check them out. I shot a Sharps for about 2 yrs and came up with my own solution using the soft plastic tubes and a ringtail bullet, I believe if these were available I would have used them. http://www.shelltube.us/
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

1stregtenger,
That is an interesting item I may utilize, and this from an avowed paper cartridge user. Friends and I often share favorite bullets and I see this as a way to quickly load and shoot a small # of bullets with out making a new former for a cartridge I may never use again. I see my favorite Buffalo Slug there, that was encouraging. I own ring tails as well. I don't understand all the process, such as the piece that seems to grip the ball (bullet). Never the less, this was unique and seems worth a try. By the way, "fragile" is relative, I like to believe my paper as used is rather well made.
Thanks, Gregg
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

I've tried the plastic tube method when shooting in the N-SSA but have gone back to paper cartridges. I like the paper cartridges for two reasons, first is that there is no spilling of powder when loading and you can load the rifle in any position, not just with the muzzle pointed down. The second reason is that my load just fills the paper case with powder (50 grains of FFG GOEX behind a 490 grain soft alloy Rapine tappered ringtail bullet) and the paper cartridge fits exactly into the chamber on my Shiloh carbine. I can then push the cartridge in a small amount to compress the powder. I can't say whether this helps accuracy but I feel that it's like compressing the powder in a brass cartridge case.

My cartridges are made with nitrated copier paper and are really not too fragile. Nothing like a brass case of course but they hold together in my Civil War cartridge box, even when I just dump them into the box and I carry the box around on my hip.

Rich
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Rich,
I feel as you do about your comparison to a tight paper cartridge and a metallic cartridge, and as to possible increased accuracy there fore. I can't convince at least 2 of 4 of my '63 pals of this. All I know is that this paper cartridge Corialis Effect improved my shooting greatly.
Gregg
Charlie Hahn

Post by Charlie Hahn »

If you would be interested I have a ready made cartridge that is easy to use and gives the 63 more of a cartridge feel. I have information and pictures if you would contact my email I can post to you. I can't figure out how to do it here.

Charlie Hahn
etb9601@aol.com
Charlie Hahn
Boom Stick

Post by Boom Stick »

I know I am butting in here, but I gotta ask... If you are not keen on making the cartidges, why did you get into this at all. I do not yet have a '63 but hav ordered one after spending my time loading brass cartidges. It seems to me that toe loading/creating is half the fun. Am I crazy?
A man need not have a dime for what makes life rich.
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

On the N-SSA board, someone is making cardboard tubes in place of the paper cartridges for the Sharps. I have no idea how they work.

Rich