Whitetails in Texas

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rdnck

The Load

Post by rdnck »

ironramrod--The load is straightforward. 108 grains of Goex 1f in a Buffalo Arms stretched Starline 2.6 case set off by a CCIBR2 primer. The bullet is from a Brooks mold and weighs 510 grains at 30-1. Bullet diameter is .440 before patching, .451 after the patch is applied. The bullet has a flat base and the nose is shaped like the 457125 Lyman Govt. bullet. The bullet is parallel sided, not tapered. The paper is .0025 thick and comes from a writing tablet that I bought at Wal-Mart. The bullet just engages the leade when the round is chambered. There is a wax paper wad over the powder, a 3/16 thick Black Magic grease cookie and then another wax paper wad. The paper patch is applied to the bullet DRY and the bullet seated into the case by hand. The load chronographs 1355 fps and will shoot in both of my 45-110s. The load is clean burning, and I don't need or carry a blow tube or a wiping stick when I am hunting. Hope this helps. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I just sent you an e-mail from the landowner, and we ought to have a great hunt this weekend!
Just me and Big Nose Kate
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

RDNCK does Sidra put all them itty bitty wads in them cases ? or do you have a dispencer ,they are a PITA to get into the case as they stick to my fingers badly............... Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
rdnck

Wads

Post by rdnck »

powderburner--I put the wads in--and you're right, they are hard to handle sometimes. The Mrs. loads most of our ammo. I cast the bullets and she does most of the loading. Except for the paper patched ammo. She simply will not touch it other than cutting patches. She tried to roll a couple of patches and for some reason can't get them either straight or tight. She doesn't like to fool with grease cookies either.

It's not really a problem, as I'm glad she helps as much as she does. One thing is for sure--paper patched ammo in a cartridge belt and a bull barreled 45-110 makes a statement in a hunting camp that no other rifle can make. And once you see it work firsthand, its better than your first bicycle. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Scott Tschirhart

Rdnck,

Temps will be in the low 30s to the low 60s for our hunt this weekend. Sunny skies and we are coming off a full moon. Should make for an interesting hunt. Sharpen your hunting knife, you are gonna need it!
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Scott--Knives are sharp, ammo is loaded and tested, cold weather gear is in place, Sharps rifles (2) are checked and oiled, and all the goodies are in the gun room ready to load into the Mountaineer.

I was out and about today, and the deer here were really moving at mid day. This cold snap has them up and eating before the big chill due to hit here tonight. We not only have the weather and the rut, we have the moon as well. I can't remember when everything has come together so well. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Scott Tschirhart

The owner posted this today:

Mark
Scott, and Dave, I ain't saying nothing more about the buck
Wed Nov 16, 2005 14:18

you all are just going to have to see them for yourself, as you would not believe me otherwise :)

Saw four today and darn near shat my britches four times. These ain't no spikes :) Yes, I missed one clean, but that is a long story. I am going back out shortly.