Solitude

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Scott Tschirhart

Solitude

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Last night I sat in the tripod again. Hunting season does not start until this weekend, so I left the rifle at home. I had my .500 Linebaugh with me in case a pig came my way.

As I sat there and watched the sun set, I thought about how blessed I was to be born free and in Texas. To be raised on the very ranch that I was now looking over. The same land that has been in my family since the 1830s. To know fine guns and how to use them. To have hunted.

The Lord has been very good to me.

I watched a doe as she munched beneath me. She ranged from 15 to 30 yds from me for about an hour and never knew I was there. It was so still and quiet I could hear her chewing.

There was a chill in the air as night fell. This will be a fine hunting season.
Just me and Big Nose Kate
DR308

Post by DR308 »

Scott: Your ranch sounds very nice. You are one of the lucky ones. Up here it is getting so crowded it's almost not worth going out, if you are after the solitude you just had. Sounds like a move to Texas might be in order. But I know how you all feel about yankee's. Does being from SOUTH Detroit make any difference? :roll: -------Jerry
#3 Sporter-45/70-32" Heavy Half bbl-Bone Pack Hardening-Set Triggers-Semi Fancy Wood-Steel Butt Plate-Pewter Foretip.
Saddle Rifle-45/90,"OLD RELIABLE"
Life Member NRA-"85" Member NRA since "66"
Life Member DAV - "69"
BOLD #664
Scott Tschirhart

Jerry,

Just remember that there is nobody in Texas who did not come from, or their ancestors did not come from somewhere else.

Folks might be taken aback by a northern accent, but most folks down here (I'm talking about rural folks here) are accepting of differences as long as everybody behaves themselves. It gets more and more crowded here too, but for several miles in any direction, the land is owned by my kinfolks. That gives us a little buffer.
DR308

Post by DR308 »

Thanks Scott: I may be checking that out in the near future. I might have a hell of a time talking my bride of 21 years into it though. She is from the mountains of GA. And that is where she wants to go back to. I do not, but mabey its my turn to follow her now. Thanks again. ----Jerry
#3 Sporter-45/70-32" Heavy Half bbl-Bone Pack Hardening-Set Triggers-Semi Fancy Wood-Steel Butt Plate-Pewter Foretip.
Life Member DAV - "69"
BOLD #664
Buffaload

Post by Buffaload »

DR308,
I dont know how often you get back to GA to visit kin but its a mess down here. I have heard it said that in 2015 metro Atlanta will run from Dalton to Macon! I believe it.
I am on the west side of that stinking city. Being from Kentucky, I yearn for that dark and bloody ground.
Ed
DR308

Post by DR308 »

Buffaload: I know how that metro area can be. I have not been back in GA in over 15 years, but my wife has just come back from a month long visit this last summer. She wants to go back so bad she can hardley stand it. The last time I was there we were at a family reunion for her family. Man! you would not believe the story on that visit! I really have no want or need to go back there, but she does. Now that the kids are gone, She wants to go home. After 21 years of following me around, I feel like I owe it to her to go. But I am not expecting much, I don't think I will be disapointed. She is from Dalonega area about 50-65 miles NE of Hotlanta. To darn close for me! :shock: Thanks for the heads up.-------Jerry
Life Member DAV - "69"
BOLD #664
Buffaload

Post by Buffaload »

You are going to s&*t when you see what you have to pay for land up there. The city folks are driving up prices by buying mountain property and building second homes. You know all about that with Californians blowing out your property values in the NW. At least you should get a nice windfall when you do move out. Good luck, its a long move.
You can still get lost in those GA mountains, but its getting harder and harder.
Ed
Oregon Bill

Post by Oregon Bill »

Scott: Nice post. What part of Texas? My great-grandparents got married in Buffalo Gap in 1880, and my grandmother was born in Roby circa 1893, and grew up on the Canadian River in Plemmons, no longer extant.
Been to the Panhandle; always wanted to see Buffalo Gap. Great-great grandad murdered in 1856 in San Saba County. I may be Oregon born, but Texas does call me.
Scott Tschirhart

I spent all weekend in Scurry County, not far from the scene where the White Buffalo was taken.

However, my family has land in Medina County, about 25 miles from where I now type. This is the place I go to keep my head screwed on right.