Wyatt Earp..Buffalo Hunter/Accountant!

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RMulhern

Wyatt Earp..Buffalo Hunter/Accountant!

Post by RMulhern »

buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Sharpsman, thanks - very interesting. As I was reading the article, I was thinking to myself - self, how much of this is fact, how much is legend, and how much is myth? Doesn't really matter to me though - it's the myth that I love. Earp's life after he left Tombstone is also quite interesting, if one can believe the stories. He definitely became a legend in his own time, much like Buffalo Bill, Wild Bill, and some others. Who in our own age is a legend in his own time, a "mythical" figure?
Big Iron

Post by Big Iron »

Reckon he was using slugs in his shotgun? Buckshot is unlikely to kill a buff at 50 yards?
Big Bullets solve all sorts of problems
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

[quote="buffalocannon"]Sharpsman, thanks - very interesting. As I was reading the article, I was thinking to myself - self, how much of this is fact, how much is legend, and how much is myth? Doesn't really matter to me though - it's the myth that I love. Earp's life after he left Tombstone is also quite interesting, if one can believe the stories. He definitely became a legend in his own time, much like Buffalo Bill, Wild Bill, and some others. Who in our own age is a legend in his own time, a "mythical" figure?[/quote]

buffalocannon

Each time I see "Buffalo Bill" I think of Liver Eatin Johnson! He despised the guy! Said he was THE WORST SHOT IN THE WEST!!

Hehe! Old "Liver Eater" would a made a good forum member!! :lol: :lol:
pete

Post by pete »

I agree with you Big Iron.
Hidehunter

Post by Hidehunter »

"Reckon he was using slugs in his shotgun?"

I doubt it. Shotgun slugs are a 20th. century invention. I believe the "Foster" slugs that are typically used for deer were introduced in the 1930's.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Round ball?

But, you're limited in range & accuracy....
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
rdnck

Say what??

Post by rdnck »

I think the article is BS. Anybody that tries to make a living killing buffalo within the effective range of a shotgun is (A) Not going to kill 25 buffalo a day, and (B) Not going to live very long trying to work at 50 yards or less. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
RMulhern

Re: Say what??

Post by RMulhern »

[quote="rdnck"]I think the article is BS. Anybody that tries to make a living killing buffalo within the effective range of a shotgun is (A) Not going to kill 25 buffalo a day, and (B) Not going to live very long trying to work at 50 yards or less. Shoot straight, rdnck.[/quote]

Rdnck

Why in the heck don't ya quit bein BASHFUL and TIMID.....and tell us what ya really think?? :lol: :roll:

Frankly.....I also think it's a BS story written by someone from back east that don't know shxt from shineola but I put it here......just to see WHO MIGHT KNOW.......shxt from shineola!! :lol: :lol:

Hehe!! :shock: :D

If Wyatt "Vomit" Earp was a tryin to save money.....hells fire.....shotgun shells....especially "buckin shot" type would have probably COST MORE than reloadin rifle ammo!! :roll: :roll:
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

WELL!!!....I guess that ifin You can hold a 2 liter pop bottle on the end of your 1911-A1 and make a silencer, ( I saw Stephen Segal do that on TV), then Wyatt Could use a shotgun effectively for Buff.

Jim :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Trigger Dr on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Sharpsman, what is the "truth" regarding the liver-eater? I prefer to think he was just like Robert Redford in the movie, still one of my all-time favorite "myth" movies. I expected Redford to at any moment cut open one of those deceased hostiles, remove his liver, and take a big bite. Probably would have brought in the stuntman for that scene. By the way, after I say "Jeremiah Johnson", I went out the very next day and purchased a .50-calibre Hawken in which I never used anyhing but Pyrodex, pretty foul stuff. That stuff would start rusting the bore almost before you could get it home. Also bought a Ruger Old Army which I also loaded with Pyrodex. I wish I still had the Old Army. It was quite a good revolver.
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

[quote="buffalocannon"]Sharpsman, what is the "truth" regarding the liver-eater? I prefer to think he was just like Robert Redford in the movie, still one of my all-time favorite "myth" movies. I expected Redford to at any moment cut open one of those deceased hostiles, remove his liver, and take a big bite. Probably would have brought in the stuntman for that scene. By the way, after I say "Jeremiah Johnson", I went out the very next day and purchased a .50-calibre Hawken in which I never used anyhing but Pyrodex, pretty foul stuff. That stuff would start rusting the bore almost before you could get it home. Also bought a Ruger Old Army which I also loaded with Pyrodex. I wish I still had the Old Army. It was quite a good revolver.[/quote]

buffalocannon

Well...there's probably just as much "myth" about the "Liver Eater" as there is about Wyatt Earp or Will Bill Hickock and Calamity Jane! Hollyweird "ain't never got it right" because they have to install BS....to keep the average "Idiot" on the edge of the seat!! :lol: :lol: :roll:
Kirk Stovall

Wyatt Earp as a buffalo hunter

Post by Kirk Stovall »

There are skeptics about Wyatt Earp and all that he claimed he did. Stuart N. Lake wrote a book about Wyatt, spending the last couple of years of Wyatt's life, in his company. There are references in the book about that very thing of shooting buffalo with a shotgun, using round balls.

Truth or fiction, I don't know, but as a financial person, Wyatt was one of the best. He headed to the gold fields of South Dakota, too late to find gold, but came out of the first winter with several thousand dollars in his pocket from nothing more than cutting firewood and selling it to the miners at a great profit.

All I know is the older I get, the better I was.
PROUD MEMBER #2 OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB!
sharps1859

Post by sharps1859 »

Slugs actually aren't a modern invention. I've dug a number of Civil War shotgun slugs in campsites right alongside Enfield and Sharps cast bullets. The Confederates used shotguns for some cavalry units.

sharps1859