coyout hunting

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

smokemaker45

coyout hunting

Post by smokemaker45 »

Anyone have a place where I can come with 2 sons to hunt coyouts sometime..Been wanting to do it for years and I'm 58 now.Time is wasting...John
RMulhern

Coydog hunting?

Post by RMulhern »

Yep! Thar's a place called WYOMING that's got lots of coydogs and there's quite a bit of BLM out thar ta hunt 'em on!! :lol: :lol:
smokemaker45

Post by smokemaker45 »

Tell me more about it...Is this a place where we can hunt without the need for a guide and all that other stuff..What type of license is needed..Will my 22-250 be too much gun for there....John
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

[quote="smokemaker45"]Tell me more about it...Is this a place where we can hunt without the need for a guide and all that other stuff..What type of license is needed..Will my 22-250 be too much gun for there....John[/quote]

John

Go here:

http://gf.state.wy.us/services/universi ... wsandregs/
Brant Selb

Re: coyout hunting

Post by Brant Selb »

[quote="smokemaker45"]Anyone have a place where I can come with 2 sons to hunt coyouts sometime..Been wanting to do it for years and I'm 58 now.Time is wasting...John[/quote]

Smokemaker,

What state do you live in? Many states have reached the point where coyotes have become a real problem, even in CT where I live, we are overrun with them! Coyotes are an unprotected species in most states but you will most likely still need a hunting licence, the Dept. of Fish and Game should be your first search to find the laws pertaining to your hunt.
Your 22-250 is plenty of gun, if the wind isn't blowing :D any of your BPCR's is better :lol: ( like in more fun ) I have shot hundreds of coyotes in Nortern Nevada and Eastern Oregon but any state with lots of BLM land is a good candidate for Coyote hunting. Good luck, it is lots of fun and very challenging. :D

Brant
Just hit the next one!
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Smokemaker,

I agree completely with Brant S. in that there are coyotes just about everyplace; this is part of how coyotes conduct their affairs in that they spread themselves out by territorial behavior over large pieces of real estate virtually regardless of cover type, land use or anything else. Thus, with some checking you can probably find coyotes to hunt and landowners willing to let you fairly close to your home. Nevertheless, if you want a fun vacation and just getaway, just about anyplace in the Great Plains or Great Basin country will have coyotes. The coyotes will certainly give you and your sons a good ration of recreation. Your .22/250 is excellent; your BPCR would be good if the wind is manageable and they aren't too far away. The coyotes won't give you any spare chances; your first shot is the only good one they will give you and sometimes even that one can be "iffy." Also, you can check www.predatormasters.com for a lot of good/interesting info on predator hunting.

I gotta warn you though, if you've never done it; this "wolfin" business can be highly addictive.

Regards
smokemaker45

Post by smokemaker45 »

Thank you for all your replys..I live in the north east corner of the states.I am living in New York now..Was in PA...MOVED HERE FOR THE FISHING IN THE FINGER LAKES.......

We have coyotes here but not like they say we do..Most of the hunting here is with dogs...We were interested in going out west where we though we would have more fun shooting way out there at them...

Thought maybe we could find a private rancher willing to let us hunt the property..The only other hunt I ever did was bear hunting in Maine...So if you get any idea let me know....John
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

John,

Northern Maine has a fair number of coyotes and much of the land is paper company property open to the public. You can get a guide for a day just to get the lay of the land and I think you can buy a 3 day non-resident hunting license at a reasonable rate.

Rich
Rickba

Yappers

Post by Rickba »

Hay,
I live in NW Pa. Lots of dogs. There is a camp ground across the street called, Track of the North', Segil Pa. If you visit, I'll take y'all C hunting in the Allegehny National Forest. I do something that not many people do though, I make jerky out of 'em. Good Jerky.
Rick
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

Rickba

I don't see them very often down this way but they are here for sure. I have seen them as close as 5 miles North of Pittsburgh. Our Game Commission says they had nothing do with the Coy Dogs showing up here in our state but I have no faith in what they say and don't believe a word of it.

LMAO ..... I have made my fair share of deer jerky but dog jerky ..... not so much!

Been a while back but I use to hunt just out past the Heath Pump Station.
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

What's a coyout?? Is that a new species from Mexico?? 8) :lol: 8)
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter