Bear hunt

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kilts

Bear hunt

Post by Kilts »

Took this fellow with a 50 X 2 1/2" in Alaska last week. Bullet went threw on a quartering shot no follow up needed. The rifle was given to me by Wolfgang so it it's an extra special hunt. The rifle was a big hit in camp to the guides as well as the other hunters. I let them all shoot it after I got the bear.
Image[/url]
MLR

Post by MLR »

Looks like that would be a nice hunt. Were you shooting black powder?

Michael
mountianman286

Post by mountianman286 »

Nice Bear, and w/the rifle of choice. Some day My 110 and I will do that. Just have to be satisfied w/elk ,deer, and antelope for now. Alaska is what dreams are made of.
YOU CAN'T BE LOST IF YOU DON'T CARE WHERE YOUR AT!
ArmyBrat

Post by ArmyBrat »

Good onya mate! as those Kiwis would say.... nice bear....looks like it may have been a beach hunt?? That's the way they do it in Southeast AK post hibernating bears scour the coastline and you actually spot from a boat and then park and stalk on land.

I go to AK every fall (fishing) and see plenty of blackies fishing as well. Some nice sized ones too. this 650 poound sow had just walked down the trail in front of me and the guys fishing in the river asked if I saw th ebig black bear. No, I replied and they said it walked right down the trail in front of me and crossed the river below them.......
i took some footprint casts with latex powder mix and this photo.

The wader boot is size 12.
Mr. Reaper

Post by Mr. Reaper »

Nice bear! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

Kilts,

Would you mind giving us your load information for your hunt?

Thanks,

Manny
Kilts

Post by Kilts »

The load is 105 grains of 1f GOEX one tablet backing wad 443 grain lyman cast 1-20 SPG and Fed 215 primer. The bears were hunted over bait but mine was on the trail as I walked in. He was 30 steps away when I saw him and as he turned towards me I shot. The guide was not with me but came a running when he hear the thunder! That cloud of smoke in the forest kept me on my toes as I reloaded you can be sure. The camp was in about the dead center of Alaska about 180 miles west of Fairbanks. Not a fancy outfitter but plenty of bears and not as spendy as I expected.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
wyattjos

Post by wyattjos »

Very nice! Congrats!

And thank you for the picture. One more dream to drool over :lol:
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Nice bear and a good clean shot. Looks as if he is haired up well and no apparent slipage yet. Did you happen to keep some of the meat and fat? Black bear meat is excellent fare and the tallow is good for pie crust, gun oil and bullet lube componet.
I just got back from a float trip last week down the little Nelchina into the big Nelchina into Tazlina lake and down the Tazlina river to the highway into Valdez. This trip starts about 150 miles out of Anchorage on the road to Glenallen. Had hot sunny weather the whole trip except for about ten minutes one eveing when it rained sideways for a bit. We floated right up to a blacky fishing along the shore and about scared him out of his wits when he saw the raft. Boy did he scoot the hundred yards back into the brush at the sight of six rafts floating by. Saw a carabou in about the same situation on the left bank a little earlier in the day. We weren't hunting but I sure was scouting for a possible moose trip in the fall. We were six days on the rivers and lake eating out of a dutch oven and doing mighty fine.
I sure love this country! M. DeLand
Kilts

Post by Kilts »

I've enjoyed bear meat in the past ( I prefer bear roasts) and was told by the out fitter that the Alaska spring bear isn't any good. There wasn't much fat on this one as compared to others I took in Montana. The out fitter used this one to start a bait on a grizzly that was hanging around down the river a ways. Got the skull back form the tanner and it measures 17 13/16" the hide should be here by fall.
Out of the 300 plus ground and river miles I traveled on this visit all was up to my expections. Sighted in these travels were bears (one with three cubs), moose, swans, lynx, owls, eagles, ducks, geese and more besides hearing wolves howl and grouse druming. Your trip sounds like a dandy too and if I could I'd return see more of the state.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

Kilts,

It sounds like a great trip. In the past when I had shot a lean bear, which will happen at times, I made sausage out of the whole thing. That way, they can add in fat and whatever spices you want, and the meat comes out pretty tasty. I have heard that some bears from Alaska at certain times of the year have a different taste depending on their diet, especially if the diet includes lots of fish. I don't know if that applies as much for blacks as brownies/grizzlies. Maybe somebody who has tasted them can comment?

Manny
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I've eaten a lot of Black bear meat in Mannitoba and I thought it was all good. This was usually in the "spring" which in Mannitoba is in June/July where we were. They call spring at "ice out" on the lakes which is usually in June. I thought the meat was excellant.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I have never had the opportunity to hunt bear, but I would like to. Sounds like you had a great hunt. Congratulations.
Just me and Big Nose Kate
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Scott,
I have hunted bear by calling them in. Frequently, they will come within 15 - 20 feet before they realize what is up. Boy do they turn tail. If you call bear, be certain to have someone watcching your back, and above all... DO NOT use a cub call. That is inviting disaster.
Jim
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I'm a pretty fair coyote caller, but I have never had the opportunity to call bears. Sounds like a great deal of fun though.
Just me and Big Nose Kate