excited about another hunt

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jerryl

excited about another hunt

Post by jerryl »

Hunting season is around the corner and I got lucky and drew a cow elk permit. I will have to hunt general season for deer but i am sure the 45-70 won't mind
Dakota Dick

Post by Dakota Dick »

Excellent...
No elk tag for me this year...but deer abound and can get up to 5 tags, 4 must be antlerless, but the antlers never did taste all the good anyway.
Have a season for two weeks the end of September, One in mid November for three weeks and then for two weeks in Jan...all for the same tags, so plenty of chances to fill'em.
Last year had a huge 6x6 Bull Elk walk out of a drainage during the mid Nov deer season. I was just starting down it when I saw the tips of his rack coming over the crest...sucker stood 20 yds broadside from me for a good 3 mins...wind was in my favor and that bull and I just stared each other down...he finally amber off quartering the wind and never got my scent...best experience I've had with an Elk...even if I wasn't hinting'em. Did get a nice whitetail doe for the freezer later that afternoon.
Time to start thinking about working up a good hunting load for the new 45-90...looking into several 405 gr options.

Good Luck with that cow elk permit!

Cheers
Dick Savage
aka
Dakota Dick
Keystone, SD
rkwrichard

Post by rkwrichard »

If you get tired of the great cold weather hunting you both have come to Georgia and try your hand at clearing out a few of our warm weather whitetails. We are lucky enough to be able to hunt with our rifles from mid October until the middle of January. You can only shoot 12 but that will fill your freezer.

This year I will get a chance to hunt them with my new Shiloh that I received earlier this year. It's going to be a great 1874 #1 single shot season.

Richard
Rickba

Elk Tag

Post by Rickba »

Hey,
Excellent job on your Elk tag. I've never got one. I keep trying though. I hope this year is cold and snowy. Last year it was warm around here and all the fair weather hunters came out of the wood work. My Pappy used to call then 'fair weather hunters'. I call them 'Cabela Hunters'. They got more Cabela tags on their clothes and equipment then Cabela's has in their stores. lol.
Rick
"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit to Earn Enough Money to keep my Taxes Paid".