Ole Rusti is dedicated hunting rifle!

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

deerhuntsheatmeup

Ole Rusti is dedicated hunting rifle!

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Well guyz and gals........

My 1874 Shiloh is now a dedicated hunting rifle! I have removed the target sights and am getting it ready for hunting using the barrel sights with a copper penny front.

I always look at the trophy's on the Shiloh site and wish I had a trophy taken with my '74. So here we go, we may not get a trophy but we are gonna dang sure try to.

The only thing that concerns me a little compared to a scoped model 70 is that I have had so many kills that were in very low light conditions. I am having to change my strategy a bit. I am gonna have to move closer to the bedding area's and deeper into the woods to try and catch the bucks because they don't usually come out into the fields until right at dark. But don't worry, I have hunted way many, many times before. Especially when I have found good buck sign, and never see him in the daylight. I change my tactics and hunt him where he sleeps and go to stand very early, and stay as long as it takes. Makes for a long day, and an early bedtime, but is very rewarding.

I hope you all have a safe, productive, season this year and I hope you enjoy my future pic's (LOL) of my trophy buck's........

Best, Barvid Dayfield
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Barvid,
If you are concerned about light issues, pick your location with an eye towards background and sunlight direction. Face east if possible with a good contrasting background.

There are other things to try too, but since you have removed your tang and globe sight, you will have to do without.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Hey David,

Did the same thing to my 74 a couple years ago. That copper penny front sight does the trick. You will not be disappointed. Keep the sun at your back.

I'd like to make that SE Regional match but I got two more matches here which makes for too much conflict. See you in Tx in the spring.

By the way, I don't think you'll be leading up any so you can throw the little pounding board away.

Good Luck!

TL
"I heartily accept the motto, 'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically... 'That government is best which governs not at all'."

Thoreau
WHO CARES

Post by WHO CARES »

Hi Barvid

I first took my #3 30" heavy with a Beech front and #130 tang on the back. Got my first Shiloh buck with it that way but decided I could make this better. Now I have a dedicated hunting Shiloh - Montana Roughrider in 45-70 with a 26" standard octagon barrel with full buckhorn rear and a very pretty Indian Head penny (courtesy of one of our members here) is serving as front sight. I am amazed at how well that penny lights up in low light situations - sometimes it just seems to glow. I am very happy with this rifle/sight combination.

Ward
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians.
dozer

Post by dozer »

My 45-2.6 is a hunting rifle bought just for that. First year out I got totally frustrated while elk hunting. I had a herd of 50-60 at about 200 yds from me, early morning. We can only shoot spike bulls unless you have drawn a big bull permit. There were 2 right in front of me mixed in with a herd of cows. Also a couple of rag horns and one very large bull.

I would spot them with the binos, put the binos down, pick up the rifle and they would be mixed back in and I couldn't tell which was which. This went on for near an hour while they fed on the hill across from me. Damn near drove me to use bad words. Made up my mind right there.

Last year my Shiloh had a new Leatherwood 6X on it. No elk, but I did shoot a deer with it. I will be looking for a bear in about 2 weeks and then deer and then back to elk. Maybe this will be the year I get an elk with the Shiloh. :wink:
Doz
RMulhern

My choice!

Post by RMulhern »

Hunting 140 years ago and hunting today....is a totally different ballgame! Lots of game back then and wasn't much competition from other hunters! I've been the '74 route on elk hunting and I guess I just haven't .....well...I'd better not use that analogy cuz it might get me in trouble....but....my luck just hasn't been right with the '74 Sharps! Historically all the major game I"ve taken over 55 years of hunting has been either REAL EARLY...or REAL LATE! What I'm talking about is low-light conditions! Sometimes the range is in question and frankly....'dicking around' with a rangefinder when a good head is in view....isn't my idea of what needs to be going on during this time! The animal should be ON THE GROUND! I've had a whole lot of sweat run twixt the crack of me arse making enough money to provide me with a sport I love and I don't intend to lose a good chance at a nice buck/elk because I can't see the sights! So....I shoot the Sharps and the Hiwall on the range for GREAT FUN but when it comes to hunting....no! I'll use a rifle with modern sights so I can see what I want to hit! For all those that do hunt with the Sharps.....fine by me! No kicks here! But based upon my past experiences.....I'll take the .338 Mag and then I'll eat some good elk steak or fried backstrap for certain!!

Good luck to all of you!
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
Brant Selb

Post by Brant Selb »

Hells Fire Rick,

Any man who has taken 25 bucks with a longbow shouldn't have any problem taking one with a 74 Sharps! :D Just treat it like a bow with a bit longer range. :D

Brant
Just hit the next one!
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

All you have to do is "Just DO IT!"

I have dropped the hammer on a MANY of whitetails with this bad boy.

You gotta be a Sneaky....Well, you know what.

Headhunter
Kodiak

Post by Kodiak »

Here's my hunting sight set-up on the old roller. The buckhorn rear works fine with the hooded front, with a x-hair insert in it.

Kodiak
I don't always shoot well, but when I do there isn't any reason.