Best wingshooting I ever had

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Scott Tschirhart

Best wingshooting I ever had

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I went to the rifle range to shoot the Sharps and I was accosted by a man who smelled worse than some corpses. He had to tell me about his troubles with his rifled musket, over and over again. I think he was quite lonely, so I was pleasant to him and patiently listened to his tales.

Meanwhile I was shooting paper plates at 100yds and doing quite well. I ought to do well in Africa if I don't screw anything up. All this time we were covered up by whitewings! Of course, since we were shooting rifles, I let them pass. Then the smelly gentleman left. I got out the shotgun and went to work.

It was all I could do to keep the old Winchester Model 12 (Great Grandpa's gun) loaded. I limited out in less than 20 minutes and there were times when the birds came so fast that I dropped three in rapid succession: one hitting my front bumper, one hitting in the bed of the truck and one hitting the 4 wheeler on the trailer.

Now there is a meatloaf pan lined with foil in the oven. The foil envelope is filled with dove breasts, each side split and a half pat of real butter inserted. Each breast is wrapped up in a strip of bacon and there are two chicken bouliion cubes in there with the remainder of the stick of butter. Rice is on the stove. Gonna be a feast!

Thank you Lord for putting me in this place at this time. God bless.

Just me and Big Nose Kate
Just me and Big Nose Kate
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Good story Scott. I just had some of the best dove hunting I've ever had also. My nephew bought 40 acres out by Kyote, TX. I went out there yesterday and today, I've never seen so many doves!! I actually could not keep the double loaded fast enough. Both days I got a limit in 30 minutes or less. I'm sure I saw 10,000 doves!! Mine will have a slice of pepperochini pepper wraped with a piece of bacon and a toothpick. Soak in KC masterpiece for an hour or so and then on a HOT BBQ grill, man oh man, that's gonna be good!!
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

As long as the grill is bar-b-queing some doves here's a yummy side dish that goes well with the doves, grouse, whatever. :D

Wash 2 good size potatoes (red or white), cut in lenthwise strips like steak fries and leave the pealings on them. Dry the potatoes off with paper towels, and put them in a large bowel. Combine in a seperate dish 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground black pepper, 1/4 tsp granulated garlic, 1/2 tsp oregano and 1/2 tsp dill weed. Add 2 tbsp. cooking oil (your favorite) to the potatoes, and sprinkle the seasonings and a dusting of cayenne pepper over them while tossing them with a fork. Put them in a non-stick vegetable cooking pan for grills, and onto the grill they go. About 20-25 minutes, stirring often, and they should be good to go. Personally, my potatoes get a lot more cayenne pepper than just a dusting, but I realllly like the stuff. I don't see how they make it so good and sell it so cheap. Ditto for Tabasco. :D

Regards