Know of a good Elk Hunt Outfitter?

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Dakota Dick

Know of a good Elk Hunt Outfitter?

Post by Dakota Dick »

Gents and Ladies

I am looking to take a quality Elk hunt next year or the year after with my bother-in-law. We are looking for something like a horse pack-in trip that will take us away from the crowds. Been on a Colorado "local" hunt where they drove us around in a pickup and dropped us off at various locations to sit and wait or hike over the hills to the next road...really not interested in doing that again anytime soon. Hunt could be in Northern US or Canada...really not interested in spending anymore time in NM or AZ.
If you have been on a quality Elk hunt with a really good guide I would appreciate hearing about it...if you are planning one for this year, I would love to hear about that too...including your post hunt thoughts. As well as hearing about any "wouldn't go there or use this outfitter again" reports.
Word of mouth has always been my best source for wading through all the advertising hype and finding a quality hunt and guide. Appreciate any leads you can provide.

Cheers

Dick Savage
aka
Dick Savage
aka
Dakota Dick
Keystone, SD
highwallbo

Post by highwallbo »

D.D,

Give Jim Shockey a call,I don't have his # right now .If you do a Google search you should find him.
I've had my share of high dollar pony rides too, I've not hunted with him,but he will be my giude on my next outfitted hunt.
He does true wilderness hunts not sitting on baited stands or cruising back roads in a pickup. Hope this helps.
Ready be Ready Against the Storm
Riflemen,Riflemen,Riflemen Form
(Tennyson)
bpesteve

Post by bpesteve »

Several years ago I made a couple of trips for elk into the Bob Marshall wilderness with Chuck and Sharon Blixrud out of Choteau Montana. The hunts were absolutely fabulous and Chuck and Sharon are wonderful people.

They have a web site now at http://www.7lazyp.com/
Dakota Dick

Post by Dakota Dick »

Thanks Gents....good leads...I'll give them a look see.

Anyone else have a hat to throw into the ring?

Cheers
Dick Savage
aka
Dakota Dick
Keystone, SD
six shooter

Post by six shooter »

I'm partial to the Idaho primitive area. It has recently burned and this will enhance the elk hunting in the future but may complicate things this year.

Wilderness outfitters owned by Scott Farr has about the best remote real backcoutry hunting in the lower 48. He is a seasoned professional that can get you to the real deal. It requires a flight into the Middle Fork of the Salmon that is spectacular and not for the faint of hart.

An equally good choice is the salmon river lodge with Stan Bradshaw. This is remote country requireing jet boat and hores back to get into but really good wall tents and equipment in some of the most amazing country on earth. With names like dismal creek, disapointment creek and hungry creek you can only assume that the old timers wanted to keep it to themselves.

These are areas that require stamina to move around in but both outfitters have a wealth of knowledge and the seasons allow bugeling in bulls for rifle hunts. Both can accomodate Sharps shooters.

Good luck to you wherever you decide.
six shooter
Dakota Dick

Post by Dakota Dick »

Thanks Six Shooter....will give them a call...
Sounds like excatly what we are looking for.

Cheers
Dick Savage
aka
Dakota Dick
Keystone, SD
Dakota Dick

Post by Dakota Dick »

Thanks Six Shooter....will give them a call...
Sounds like excatly what we are looking for.

Cheers
Dick Savage
aka
Dakota Dick
Keystone, SD
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

If you really want a good hunt, and to be taken the best care of, you have to contact Rob Arnaud of the Montana Hunting Company in Bozeman, MT. I know Rob and have guided, and booked hunts for him. He is without a doubt the most honest and upfront outfitter, you will find.

He has taken Will Primos and his boys on many hunts that have shown up in their videos. He has the property, staff and expertise to make a world-class hunt.

Rob Arnaud
412 Pronghorn Trail, Suite A
Bozeman, MT 59718
www.arnaudoutfitting.com

You won't be sorry!
PROUD MEMBER #2 OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB!
Dakota Dick

Post by Dakota Dick »

Thanks Kirk...will give him a call

And again, a BIG Thanks to all for your responses.
Dick Savage
aka
Dakota Dick
Keystone, SD
kimwcook

Post by kimwcook »

Well you've had over a month now Dakota. What did ya find out? Inquiring minds would like to know.
Old Law Dawg
Dakota Dick

Post by Dakota Dick »

Checked out all that were suggested and a few more. Also got a few PM's with some excellent input.
I did finally book a hunt for next year. I can tell you that the guides that have a proven track record for a well managed/quality hunt are mostly booked for next season and some are taking bookings for 2009.
I based my selection on how long the outfitter had been in business, how my inquiry was handled, distance from where I currenty reside, references and cost. References were provided by outfitter and also tracked down some through other sources...Safari Club International for one. The outfitter I booked with is now fully booked for 2008, been in business for 35 years and gave me an honest input on how my readiness for the hunt (read physical fitness) will be directly related to my chances for success.
I will gladly pass on how the rest of my "total experience" goes with this hunt and outfitter...just send me a PM and I will add you to the list. And, I will do a final post next year on this forum at the conclusion of the hunt.
I selected Ram Creek Outfitters in BC for my hunt.
Dick Savage
aka
Dakota Dick
Keystone, SD