Sighting in for the first shot from a clean bore?

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woodtroll

Sighting in for the first shot from a clean bore?

Post by Woodtroll »

Hello, folks.

I was curious what the rest of the blackpowder hunters here do as far as sighting in their rifles, considering that the first killing shot is from a clean bore? Do you swab the bore with a bullet-lubed patch before hitting the woods, allow "Kentucky windage" (or more likely elevation) for the first shot, or handle it some other way?

I've shot my Sharps exclusively with BP for years, most of it in tinkering or the odd silhouette match, and am beginning to get serious about hunting with it pretty exclusively. I've always used a Marlin 1895 or Ruger #1 in the past, both in .45-70 with paper patched bullets, and usually just left the bore lubed from the previous shots and uncleaned until the season's end with no harm.

Any good ideas on how to deal with the first, high shot from a dry bore? Or do you just set your sights for that clean-bore "one-shot group"?

Thanks very much. Y'all take care, Regan
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

Howdy, My Rifle seems to put the first one right in there with the rest of them. But I do shoot Paper Patch for hunting. Paper Patches do like clean bores.

I haven't hunted with a neked bullet yet. But I might try it this year.

Headhunter
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I have not found it to be an issue.
Just me and Big Nose Kate
rdnck

???

Post by rdnck »

I agree with Scott. I have not found it to be a problem. Paper patched or grooved, it doesn't matter. Just put the sight where it needs to be and pull the trigger. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Brent

Post by Brent »

I have had issues with first shots when the bore is heavily oiled with a thick gun oil (as opposed to a solvent). So, prior to hunting, I wipe my bore with either a clean dry patch, or a solvent dampened patch - almost always Hoppes #9. Then they all shoot to the same group.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"