shilo sharps pronghorn

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

longcarbine

shilo sharps pronghorn

Post by longcarbine »

Howdy, haven't been on here for a while but thought I'd share a few hunting pictures with you. Here is an antelope I shot with my Shiloh saddle rifle .40-70 BN. Used a bore diameter 380 gr. paper patch bullet, 1-30, swiss 1.5 F, lube wad, etc. Range was 110 paces. Spent about four hours crawling through the grass before I got close enough for a sure shot. The blood spot on the shoulder just aft of the pewter tip is the entrance hole, exit just ahead of the right hip. Hit him a tad high but it still did the job. Exit hole was abut 1". I hunted alone so no hero pic, just a nice buck and a beauty of a rifle.

This is my first antelope and I had heard that the bucks were no good to eat but this guy has been some fine eating. Wish I had more. The next pic is just a scenery pic but I sure thought it was beautiful country. Where the fog is hanging in the bottoms is the Little Missouri River.

Good hunting to all of you.

longcarbine
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

Nice buck! When you were crawling, did you use gloves or knee pads? The terrain looks like it would have those little cactus plants that leave those little thorns in your hands and knees. I crawled once across that stuff without the gloves and pads, and it was painful.

Manny
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Congratulations on taking a very nice antelope. You're right in that they are very good eating. I like your rifle, and in a caliber that is not talked about very much. BTW where were you hunting? The reason I ask is because the country looks a lot like the North Dakota badlands.

Regards
rdnck

Bingo!

Post by rdnck »

longcarbine--That is a very nice antelope. It looks like the 40-70 paper patch load got the job done. With so much attention paid to the big 45's and the 50's, the hunting forties don't really get their due.

I have a Saddle Rifle in 40-65 and have begun to shoot a Brooks 360 grain paper patch bullet in it. My load gives 1225fps, and is quite accurate. When I saw how it hit the berm at 200 and 300 yards, I began to think that this just might be a dandy little hunting rifle.

That is a nice antelope for sure, and congratulations for a job well done. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

Thats what its all about Longcarbine.

Perfection.

Headhunter
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Very nice........ and thanks for posting the photos!
Just me and Big Nose Kate
pete

Post by pete »

Very nice. Congratulations. Getting an antelope with a bpcr the way you did it is an accomplishment. Great quality photos too. I know about crawling for antelope too. I got skunked this year. I had 2 unsuccessful 3 hour stalks and about 3 other shorter ones.. On the first one I got to within 150 yds. when the wind shifted and they of course smelled me. They took off but 1 stopped about 200 yds. out to look back. I got up into a sitting position and missed the shot.

The second stalk also of 3 hours ended when I got to where I wanted to be to get a shot and when I slowly raised up enough to get a look they were about 300 yds away walking off not even knowing I was there. During the second stalk I ran into more than a few cactus. Had them in my arms ,legs stomach and hands. :)

Walking back to the truck after the first of the mentioned stalks I did find a real pretty little white arrowhead. It was a neat find and to think that someone long, long ago was hunting the same area.

Just think, being that bpcr isn't all that common it should be cool to think you're probably the first one in a long time to take an antelope with one in that area.
pete

Post by pete »

Oh yea forgot to say antelope is damn good. Yours is good because you didn't chase him around with a truck and get him all worked up like alot of idiots do. Skinning them out as quickly as possible helps too.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I've killed and ate several antelope bucks and I've always thought the meat was excellent. I was hunting around Wheatland, WY once and the waitress in the coffee shop said, "you mean you eat those things?". ha ha. Nice Buck, way to go!
Kodiak

Post by Kodiak »

Good shootin', LC.

I have taken several goats with two different BPCR and it surely has been a pleasure. The smoke doesn't seam to tell the herd anything about where you are!

And the eating of fresh backstrap and scrambled-eggs, over an open prairie camp-fire is the best.

Kodiak
I don't always shoot well, but when I do there isn't any reason.