The "instinctive" nature of a rifle

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Stan K

Post by Stan K »

Your experiences are similar. I get no less than 1 1/8 mushrom on deer size game. I had one elk at 90 yds that gave me 1 3/8 mushroom. Very little loss of any lead. I have never had a ball go out the other side. My kills are similar to a yote with a pill from the 22-250. Higher velocity with a large mushroom makes it impossibe I think to go through. I have had them "follow the hide" on a qaurter shot and end up below the jaw on deer. Took both shoulders of of one 26" Colorado buck in the aspen at about a 110 yds. It hit a limb before it hit him and looking through the fire I saw the limb break. Thought it deflected as the buck was gone. Walking down to check blood, there he lays about 10 ft. away. On the same trip my pard shot a little 3x3 through the throat latch with his 90 grain load. Dropped him like a bad habit and the ball rolled down along the spinl column and lodged around the top of the shoulders.

I shoot over 2200 so it cuts the wind real well. No comparism to a 16 or 1800 ft. load. 8" high at 50 puts it on the money at 140 to 150 depending on altitude with a 36 bbl. Stan
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Might be that because I cannot drive my ball that fast, it penetrated better? Less deformation of the ball on impact. Of course nobody can argue with success!
Just me and Big Nose Kate
deerhuntsheatmeup

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Good Thread Men,

I been practicing in low light conditions for the deer season that starts Saturday. I got a few deer runnin around and look foward to getting blood all over "Rusty" in a few days.

Best, David B
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
Stan K

Post by Stan K »

Scott;
I have a 40 cal. custom Dehass bbl. with a 60 twist. I am now thinking about punching it out to 62 cal. I killed one buck with my smoothy (62) with a 120 grain charge and I was laughing at the punch that had, (on both ends). Its a New England fowling peice. Looked like that buck got hit with a steel stamp mill. I see you like that 58. I once thought of building a 58 on a 1 1/8 inch bbl for some heavy loads. I think Green River years ago made a few. Seems that they didn't catch on. It is strange how just a few thousands larger projectile can make such a huge difference on the force and impact. If I was to build another Elk, Moose or Bear stopper, it would be the 62 with a 150 to 170 gr. charge with a 72 or 80 twist on a 36 inch bbl. If that don't get it, you shouldn't be pointing it at them.

David B., Just make sure you wash Rusty down. Barrels up and powder down. Leave some for seed :wink: :lol: Stan K.