Rut has started.....

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

dozer

Rut has started.....

Post by dozer »

Last day of my elk hunting I bumped a big muley. Nice horns. Big guys usually don't show up until it's late elk season and they are getting interested. Saw several med/small bucks with does earlier, but not really rutting.

Today I as I had coffee I watched a whitey chasing around after a doe. Nice buck, not huge, but nice. Horns out to the tips of his ears, fairly high and heavy. Probably a 4X4.

Muley is right on time, but it seemed a bit early for the whitey, usually more toward turkey day.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Well, I don't think it is at all early for the whitetail rut over here. And as evidence, this morning I had 4 bucks and 2 does bunched up behind the house checking each other out. As per usual, the bucks are ready, the does are not (median date of conception is 17 Nov I'm told - pretty much everywhere). The most activity seems to be on the front side of that as the bucks are harrassing unwilling does.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
highwallbo

Post by highwallbo »

I'm heading to W.Virginia to see if I can't kill a buck with my 40-70SS. I'm hoping the boys are all over the girls. Not many big deer but plenty of medium deer.
Ready be Ready Against the Storm
Riflemen,Riflemen,Riflemen Form
(Tennyson)
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I almost got a nice size doe yesterday morning. But fortunately I was able to brake and swerve around and she scampered back into the woods from where she had come out onto the road.
Lee Stone