The roundnose and game (long)

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Scott,

Thanks for the pictures; both knives are really nice! Of course, what makes them even better is having them made for you by a very good friend. Ya just can't beat a deal like that. :D

Regards
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

ironramrod,

How true. I was given a knife by my friend David Barfield, AKA Deerhuntsheatmeup, this past Raton. We just bought a new digtal camera & will try again to figure out how to post pictures. I'll let David fill in the blanks about my knife.

Scott,

We we're joking about the handle material, not your friendship.

Kelley O.
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Oh I know Kelly.

No problem here.

It is an unusual material and I knew nothing about it until I was presented with the knife. Kinda neat stuff though. It does not feel like stone, more like ivory or bone.
Just me and Big Nose Kate
pete

Post by pete »

If the handle doesn't get bigger as you use it it's not penis. Otherwise good stuff. Knives rifles, animals. :)
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

Scott,

Great knives, I hope to see one in action? As far as your load, you are correct in not fixing what isn't broke. The results speak for themselves.

Manny
david.bergen

Post by david.bergen »

beautifull knifes........made by a friend, that makes them more than tools
Make sure you don't loose one when you are in the field, you can't replace
a hand crafted knife gift from a friend.
best David
Scott Tschirhart

Thanks guys.

A note of explanation. Besides my not being able to take good photos, these knives look well-used and for good reason, they have been used hard. The Bowie in particular accomanied me on a couple of excursions outside the country and has travelled with me many miles here in Texas. You already know the skinning chores I used the other knife for last year.

So they are not polished up and as shiny as knives that remain in a glass case. They did not look this way when I took possession of them, but I am proud of them and I put every mark on them.

I appreciate your kind words, and if you should order a knife from Bill, it will come out looking really sharp and polished....I promise! :D
rkwrichard

Post by rkwrichard »

Fine friends and fine knives are very special things. It looks like you honor and cherish both very well. My hat is tipped to you for how you are treating both.

Richard
Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should only be able to beat you to death with it because you have fired all your bullets.
Marine Corp Parent -Toughest Job in the Corps
Glock Armorer / NRA Member
SASS Member / GSSF Member
Three Forks

Post by Three Forks »

rkwrichard wrote:Fine friends and fine knives are very special things. It looks like you honor and cherish both very well. My hat is tipped to you for how you are treating both.

Richard
Add fine firearms to that, and I will completely agree with you...!

Bill
A fools lips enter into contention, and his mouth calls for strokes - Proverbs 18: 6
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Scott,
Thanks for the great post and good photo's. Having a hunting knife given to you by a good friend is pretty cool but to have it made by that person .....well how do they say that...PRICELESS.
Good hunting partners are a special breed and not just anyone can do it.
One question to either you or Bill.....have you ever recovered a slug and if so what condition was it in? Just curious.
Dan
Scott Tschirhart

Dan,

First, thank you.

Second, you got that right! I have had my share of bad hunting partners. The last one actually looked for me and AT me through the scope of his hunting rifle. I don't have to tell you how angry I got over that one.

Third, Bill will have to speak for himself but I haven't found anything that will hold this Gov't bullet. I have not had the opportunity to recover one.
rdnck

None recovered

Post by rdnck »

DanO--I'm like Scott. I have never recovered a 30-1 Govt bullet from any animal I have shot. This includes deer, hogs, kudu, wildebeast, you name it. I shot through a black wildebeast from ham to brisket on a finishing shot with my 45-110 Business Rifle, and that one went through something around 70 inches of animal and exited. The first one broke both of his shoulders and threw up dirt on the other side from 225 yards.

I have my hunting paper patched bullet at 511 grains at 30-1, and use the Govt nose shape on it. It has shot through American bison, deer, hogs, gemsbok, springbok, impala and a brangus cross without my recovering one. I plan to use it in my 45-70 pushed by 75 grains of 1f Express in December on a bison in west Texas. I not only have a lot of faith in this bullet, I have quit using anything else for hunting. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
bobw

Post by bobw »

Rdnk do your exit holes show any sign of expansion of the bullet or are they about 45 cal? bobw
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

Bob, I know you addressed the above to Rdnck, but I could shed some light on the expansion.

I have not seen any expansion on the last 3 Deer I have shot with the Government Round nose 520 grain bullet 30-1.

The bullet kills em DED DED DED. I mean DEad, Dead, Dead.

Combined total yardage from shot to down for good has been 25 yards Maybe 30. And that was on my big buck.

I shot a doe yesterday. The bullet hit a 3/4" Sapling on the way to her. Hit it dead center and blowed it in half. The bullet kept on going and hit her exaclty where I aimed. The Sapling was 10 yards in front of the doe.

Headhunter
Scott Tschirhart

Bob,

I'm not real sure that you need any expansion with these bullets. I think they disrupt things pretty well even if they don't expand.

I would recommend some of Capstick's writing on solids in a .375 H&H. Of course a 300 gr bluff nosed solid in a .375 is going a lot faster, but the soft lead one we are shooting is heavier and bigger in diameter.

Wagon loads of deer have been killed with much less. .38-40 and .44-40s fed many a family and I know of a particular .32-20 that has been used to kill a number of deer.

The .45 Colt and .45 ACP made their reputations as man killers with non-expanding bullets, and they are in no way comparable to the power of a .45-70.