SILHOUETTES at Upper Nisqually

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bucksnort

Post by bucksnort »

When I did attend a match at Tri-County (Oregon), the silhouettes were set up at 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards, I think. Is this still the case or was it a hybrid format of a BPCR match? What ranges will your match be fired at? Thanks, Ed
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

Thanks LJ for the info--made it a lot clearer than the mud i had up :)

We will be shooting at regulation 200 300 385 and 500 meters
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
N2

Post by N2 »

bucksnort - The distances you report sound like you attended a muzzle loader silhouette match at Tri-County. It's been about three years since I last shot there, but their BPC silhouette matches were reduced paper silhouette targets all at 200 yards. If Nisqually shoots the full course you'll need about 60 rounds. If they shoot the full distance you'll shoot 10 plus sighters at 200 meters (chickens), 10 plus sighters at 300 meters (javelina), 10 plus sighters at 385 meters (turkey), and 10 plus sighters at 500 meters (rams). Course of fire is 7 minutes for the first five and sighters (plus a 15-30 second "ready")with no sighters after you go to target and five minutes (plus a ready period) for the second five targets with no sighters allowed. To reduce the match time most places I've shot just go with 12 minutes and a ready period for 10 shots and sighters with no sighters once you go to target. I've always thought Clark Rifles and their 300 yard range would make a great place to shoot a reduced paper BPC rifle match. As you're in Vancouver maybe you could talk to them about it. Their Treasurer is a pretty active BPC rifle shooter. - Nick
bucksnort

Post by bucksnort »

Nick - Thank you for the reply. Clark Rifles is high on my list of 'to-dos'. Right now I'm looking for loads that will 'group' consistently out of my Browning high walls (.40-65 & .45-70). I've been doing that experimenting at English Pit only because it is about 7-minutes from my home (Clark will constitute a 25-minute ride). However, once the loads begin to print, I will step up to the 200-300 yard targets. To date, I've only used 5744 powder. I'm going to see how accurate they can be made with weighing the cases and bullets. I hate the cleaning process and I cannot believe that the mountain men of yore enjoyed it much either! ED
N2

Post by N2 »

Bucksnort - I lived about 5 minutes (behind the airport off Mill Plain) from English Pit longer ago than I care to remember (OK, it's only been 3 years, but I left Texas the first time for a good reason and now I remember it). One trip up the hill in the rain at English Pit trying to carry all of my BPC gear cured me of shooting there. Clark Rifles will let anyone shoot for a small fee and there's no slippery hill to climb. Besides, the distance is more pertinent and the view is great. Cleaning BP from these rifles is less involved than cleaning my smokeless rifles. A few patches with Windex will clean the barrel right out. You can purchase the "Industrial Grade" Windex with vinegar at Lowe's or Home Depot. Dawn dish washing detergent does a great job on cases and does't take nearly as long as some would make you believe. Camas Sports usually carries Goex BP. Buy a couple of cans of Ffg, drop tube in enough that you need to compress .2-.3" to seat your bullet and fertilize your lawn with the 5744. You'll find the BP to be much more accurate and easier to work up a load with. Call Pete Sellen (number listed at www.clarkrifles.org). Pete lives in Fischers Landing and will be happy to get you started shooting BP and he can set you up to join Clark Rifles. - Nick
bucksnort

Post by bucksnort »

Nick:
I will call Pete this week and plan to joiin Clarkrifles for '04. I may give BP another chance once I start getting out past 200-yards. The one box of BP that I did load bor my Browning 1885 (.45-70) did work fine. This was before I knew anything about BPCarts. I dumped (no drop tube - what was that all about??) 70 grains of FF. After all, a .45-70 was designed to burn 70-grains of BP. No? Anyway, I had the standard 405-grain FN bullet in front of the 70 grains. I loaded 20-rounds. At the 100 yard line (English Pit) I squeezed one off. 9-ring @ 7:00. Great. The second round, touched the first! The third one was 7-ring @ 1:00. OOPS. The rest of the box went off the paper and did hit the backstop, I think. Then I did some reading (should have done the reading first). Do you have to clean between each shot? I would consider cleaning after a stiring of 10 but not each one.

This rifle is now printing, at 100-yards, 3/4" using 5744. I would like to get the .40-65 down into the same sub-MOA.

One good thing about the walk UP, out of English Pit, you have less lead to carry out of the hole. ED