Shooters box

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Capt Henry

Shooters box

Post by Capt Henry »

I am looking for a shooters box that someone might have and wish to get rid of. I have looked a the new ones but are more than I want to spend right now.
I am trying to get all my other equipment together and get the rifle shooting.
I do believe that if I get one more hobby I am going to have to hire someone to do some of them. :roll:
#1 Sporter 45-70, semi-fancy wood, 30 inch barrel, shotgun butt with traditional steel butt plate. pewter tip. (buffler thumper)
bucksnort

Post by bucksnort »

Capt. Henry:
I'm looking to build a 'wagon box' for myself and to put one in at my local shop on a consignment basis. This will be made out of 1/2" douglas fir to house a Sharps LRE. Are you looking for a 'range box' or 'wagon box'? We might be able to work on this. ED
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

For a range box, look @ the plastic tool boxes @ Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal/K-Mart, etc. While being lightweight, some are very robust & will hold a great deal of shooting paraphernalia.
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

I use the MTM plastic shooter's box with cleaning stand that rides on top of the box. Not 19th century period authentic, but not expensive and holds most of my Stuff. The rest of my traps go in a cheap (free with magazine subscription) gym bag.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Croft Barker sells a pretty good set of plans for a range box and a rifle cradle and bench styx. I bought the range box and rifle cradle plans and just built the rifle cradle, the range box is next. I REALLY like the rifle cradle, it will sit on top of the range box when I get it built. A friend helped me, we built it out of very beautiful walnut!! If I had it to do over though I would use Poplar, it's a lot lighter and still strong. Croft advertises in "Black Powder Cartridge News". His emai is katbar@sprintmail.com and phone is 208.263.6953 If you build the rifle cradle email me for a hint.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

If you are just looking for a tote box, Paul Matthews book "HOW TO's FOR THE BLACK POWDER CARTRIDGE RIFLE SHOOTER" page 93 has a good article with drawings. besides there is a LOT of other good information in the book also. Best of both worlds.
Trigger Dr.
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Capt Henry

Rifle shooting box

Post by Capt Henry »

Thanks for the replys, gives me some ideas. Going to go to the match at Ben Avery range this next month hope to get it together to start shooting soon. Hate to have to carry everything in a gunny sack. :D
#1 Sporter 45-70, semi-fancy wood, 30 inch barrel, shotgun butt with traditional steel butt plate. pewter tip. (buffler thumper)
Omak Cowboy

Box

Post by Omak Cowboy »

There is a beautiful box with a curved two part lid in one of the magizines or maybe it's on the Shiloh site..just can't remember. Anyway, as I recall it's made of leather and really pretty. Course there is a price for beauty! :roll: I'm sure it's worth every penny the company is asking...though I never did find out how much.

Still wondering as I think this could be built out of wood. A little heavier but if it was say burl and some other kind of wool...boy oh boy!
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.