Have you dropped your caliper?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Coltsmoke

Have you dropped your caliper?

Post by Coltsmoke »

I have dropped my caliper too many times, I have 2 mechanical calipers that are now worthless, they are not reliable anymore. I was at Home Depot and found digital calipers made by Husky, they are guaranteed forever. If they fail for any reason just take them back and they will replace them for free, price was $30. Didn't have to pay any shipping like buying online, they are very accurate and seem to be well made and come with a case. We have many Home Depots close by, I guess I can alternate and go to a different one every time I drop them. :lol:
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
desert deuce

Re: Have you dropped your caliper?

Post by desert deuce »

Yep, bought a set also.
Make sure they are completely closed before turning them on and hold them closed before turning them on and make sure they read zero.00 on the display while completely closed before measuring.
I guess what I am saying is I am not yet 100% confident in the readings.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Kodiak

Post by Kodiak »

Nope. Haven't ever dropped 'em.

Have an early generation Lyman Digital caliper, maybe 20 years old. Have a group of brass scale weights that are different in size that are used to verify caliper readings. Calipers have spent their entire life in a 72 degree controlled room, along with all my reloading tools.

Thanks for the tip about your latest caliper replacement.

Jim
I don't always shoot well, but when I do there isn't any reason.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I use calipers almost every day in my gun work and one trick I have learned is to wipe the jaws clean before each use. Even the oil from your fingers will register on an accurate set if not cleaned. I'm still using the same manual dial Lee calipers I bought twenty years ago with complete repeatable reliability.
Also the ladder gear needs to be kept clean and lubed periodically and always store them in a case of some sort. Dust is the worst enemy of a precision measuring tool and almost any digital caliper will be shot if dropped on a concrete floor same as a precision digital powder measure. I much prefer the mechanical dial even though it does not have tenths read out as does a digital.
With constant use you can learn to consistently and accurately measure .0003 with no trouble on a mechanical mic or caliper and that is closer than most gun projects require.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I have two dial Starret's. One has been dropped once. Broke the depth rod off, but it works perfectly otherwise. I have purchased a couple of digital indicators, and the batteries are always dead just when I need them. Went back to using dial indicators.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I have two dial Starret's. One has been dropped once. Broke the depth rod off, but it works perfectly otherwise. I have purchased a couple of digital indicators, and the batteries are always dead just when I need them. Went back to using dial indicators.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I've got a set of digital calipers that I have dropped but they are still good. I've got a dial caliper that I've never dropped and I've still got an old pair of vernier calipers that I can't read anymore because the scale is too small. If it had an expanded scale I could still read them. The digital ones are quick but I never use them for precision work.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I forgot I still have a vernier caliper around here some where that I keep as a back up. Works as accurately as ever with my Opti-visor. I used it for several years before buying the dial calp which I thought would not last being a Lee and made in China but she just keeps going.
I have a digital Starrette mic but almost never use it preferring the dial calps which are much faster and adequately accurate for most things.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I have a Browne and Sharpe vernier I bought in 1975 other than a main spring replaces it works flawlessly. Also have a mitutoyo one also a 4" the B&S is a 6".
MAH

Post by MAH »

Hold on here Coltsmoke!! I'm calling B.S. on the reason for calibers not working! I have seen the sale of a product you had and I hear thru the Vine of the net a nefarious action had taken place!!! Lets be honest here Ole Boy.
MAH
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Say what? :?
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Yes, and none of them survived the impact. I went to a cheaper calipers for my shop now and only pull out the Staretts when I’m machining.

SB
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

MAH, I'm not going to drop them anymore, I like this caliper too much to drop it. It is in a case now. But it is nice to know if it does stop working,( it is made in China) they will make it good.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Yep. Think there must be a giant 'caliper/vernier factory' somewhere in China where they make them for anyone who wants to put their name on same. I purchased one marked S&W 7-8 years ago and every time I measure my calibration blocks they are pretty much dead-on. Pisses me off that the Chinese can do this for $20.
Glenn
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

I guess I'm old school. I have been using a Mitutoyo dial caliper for years. I tried a digital once, but it didn't agree with my pin gauges......
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………