Want ot order my first Shiloh Sharps?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Greyghost

Want ot order my first Shiloh Sharps?

Post by Greyghost »

I want to order my first Shiloh Sharps rifle, but I want to keep it 100% period, and was wondering about the diferent chamberings and options. Not sure of model yet, but considering the 45-120 in a paper-patched black powder cartridge. What's the history with the 45-120?

Phil
"Gun owners - the people who actively believe that the Second Amendment right is one worth keeping- - aren't doing enough to keep it!"
Hidehunter

Post by Hidehunter »

The .45-120 (I.E. .45-120-3 1/4) is NOT period correct for either the 1874 Sharps NOR the buffalo hunting era. It was introduced (I believe by Winchester) in the late 1880's after both the great buffalo herds and the original Sharps Rifle Company were long gone.

I suspect your interest in the .45-120 might be due to Frank Mayer's book "The Buffalo Harvest." This has been the subject of some debate. Most of us agree that Col. Mayer was probably talking about what we now call the .45-110 or .45-110-2 7/8. Cases were thinner back then and its entirely feasable that 120 grains of powder could have fit in the 2 7/8" case. Hence the confusion. The .45-110-2 7/8 is a very authentic buffalo hunting era cartridge.

I'd suggest that you read "Sharps Rifles" by Frank Sellers before you order. The book shows numerous examples of original rifles. "Period Correct" can mean a number of different things. The Sharps rifle carried by a hide hunter in Texas circa 1875 can be very different from one carried by a Montana hunter in 1881. The .45-110-2 7/8 was used all over.