source of black powder in Denver area

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

8iowa

source of black powder in Denver area

Post by 8iowa »

I've been pleasantly surprised by the Colorado DOW with a muzzleloading license for Elk in September.

The airlines will not permit me to fly with BP. Does anyone know where I might purchase 2F or 3F GOEX in the Denver area?

Many thanks,
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
Halfcock

Post by Halfcock »

When I lived in the Denver area, about 20 years ago, I used to buy from Buckley Powder. I don't know if they are still in business but I will contact some friends in the area and let you know.

Paul
Halfcock

Post by Halfcock »

8iowa: My memory is not what it used to be. I was just up to the airport about two weeks ago and asked about transporting firearms and ammunition. They said you could carry both on so long as they wern't in the same container. I also asked about loaded BP cartridges and they said it didn't matter.

Paul
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

Halfcock:

I know what you mean about the memory. I have heard that loaded balck powder cartridges can be taken on an airline. I assume that the 11 lb limit still applies.

However, for my September muzzleloader hunt, I will be taking a "Kentucky" flintlock rifle with a 44 inch barrel. I'll need 4F for the priming pan and 2F or 3F for the main charge. I don't believe that they will permit me to carry my priming horns loaded with loose powder.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I know this isn't the answer you wanted but It might help a little. I looked all over Colorado Springs for Powder, finally found out there is a City ordance against selling it. I found Black at the "Mountain Man Shop" in Manitou Springs, and I also bought it at Liberty Sports in Callhan, which is just east of the Springs. You could also look in the "Black Powder Cartridge News", look at the shoot schedule in the back and under the Golden Gun club shoot is a fellow named Charlie Semmer, he runs the NRA Silhouette shoot just east of Denver. Call him and ask him if you can buy it in the Denver area, he will know.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

Ken:
Many thanks. I have actually been to the Mountain Man Shop in Manitu Spgs, but it was a long time ago. I'm glad to see that they are still in business, however that is pretty far out of the way for my drive from the Denver Airport to the Flattops.

I'll see if I can get ahold of Charlie. I checked again with the airlines and black powder outside of a loaded cartridge is strictly forbidden.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Marathonman is also a local around the Denver Area, he probably knows where to get the Black stuff. I haven't seen him post in a while, but when he checks in maybe he will see this and answer you, or you could send him a PM. The "Mountain Man Shop" in Manitou is a neat place, very very pricy though. It is one of the places that was going to charge me $50 just to do a gun transfer, I kinda told them what I thought about their prices, but maybe they won't remember me the next time I go in. :lol:
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
CrazyDog

Post by CrazyDog »

Hey 8...
I'm in the Denver area and there was only one shop here that sold Black but they recently closed, they were pricey tho. $20 a lb. for Goex. I buy my powder in case lots once a year or so and I'd be willing to help ya out. Email me and we can make arrangements. I've got Goex f, ff, fff and ffff.
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

CrazyDog:
Many thanks. Wouldn't it be great if J.P. Lower could come back and re-open his shop in Denver.

I'll send you a PM.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
Buckskinner

transfer fee

Post by Buckskinner »

Ken Hartlein

I too have had it with the transfer fee deal! I have run into some who charge a percentage of the firearm price!! Run that by for a min.

That's one of the reasons I drove to Big Timber to pick up my Shiloh, to say nothing of the good people there.

Gary
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

The gunsmith I use (his shop is only five miles from my house, and he is a good gunsmith) said he would be glad to do the transfer for me, and would only charge $50.00 to do it. I told him that I appreciate it. Well, as a last resort, I might consider that. But I have a friend with an FFL who doesn't charge his friends anything. That is until I insisted that he charge me $25.00. I think that is a fair charge. Now $25.00 is his standard. But, as much as I would love to visit Shiloh if I could manage the time, I probably would pay the $50.00 to my gunsmith. The 4000+ mile round trip to and from Big Timber would cost me considerably more than $50.00, I am sure. I am lucky to have a good friend with an FFL.
Lee Stone