Newbie Question: Any experiences with Dupont Blackpowder?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

J.D.Cayhill

Newbie Question: Any experiences with Dupont Blackpowder?

Post by J.D.Cayhill »

Has anyone ever loaded old Dupont BP for BPCR? I have a supply of pre-Goex in 1f thru 3fff that I am thinking about trying. I presently load for 38-55, 40-65, 43 Spanish, 45-70, and am getting ready to purchase a Shiloh in 45-90. Back in it's day it was the BP king of the hill, but how would it stack up against the BP of today?
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

Back in the early 70's, when Marlin "re-introduced" their 1895 rifle, I loaded some 45-70's with Dupont FFF and a cast lead bullet. I can't remember the bullet weight but the cartridges shot well without any signs of stress or excessive pressure.

Much more recently, I loaded several lots of 40-70ss with GOEX FFF. again, there were no problems evident. I have now obtained a lot of GOEX Cartridge, and this is now what I use exclusively.

Some of the old powder cans are quite collectable, especially the old eliptical shaped Dupont cans with the small screw top.

FFF is probably best used in muzzleloaders with patched round balls. It especially enhances fast ignition with a flintlock rifle.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
Crash Landing

Post by Crash Landing »

J.D.
I have some old DuPont 2F (late 1960’s vitage) that has been in my powder magazine for years and tried it recently in my 40-65. My initial results were not satisfactory, only about 6 MOA group at 200 yards (12”) for ten shots. I found the DuPont to be “dusty” with fine black powder particles, compared to the stuff available now. I screened the DuPont, using an old cotton sock for the screen (resist the temptation to use an piece of old panty hose for a screen, it’s too static-prone and black powder is too easily ignited). With most of the dust removed, the same load managed about a 3 MOA, ten shot group at 200 yards (6”). While still not exactly spectacular, I think with a little more load work-up, the DuPont can be made to perform respectably.
By way of technical data, the above load was 62 grains (weight) of DuPont 2F, dropped in the cases through a 30-inch tube, an over powder milk carton card wad was inserted then compressed 0.10”. I used a 3/16 extruded grease cookie, topped with another card wad. I used an onion skin paper patch, double lap, applied dry, to a 370 grain smooth bullet of 1:25 (tin/lead). The paper patch, when rolled on the bullet, extended about 1/3 the bullet diameter and was folded over the base. The bullet was seated only deep enough to snug-up the wads and grease cookie on the powder column. This combination fits the chamber of my rifle (your results may vary). I fired one fouling shot and used a blow tube between shots.
Hope this helps
Randy W
J.D.Cayhill

Post by J.D.Cayhill »

Thanks Crash and 8iowa, I will give it a try and see how it works.
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

You might want to sell it to a collector ! It is about the same for me as GOEX 2fg ! I used Dupont BP from the late 60's till GOEX took it over ! JAGG
JAGG