So clever I scare myself!

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bad Ass Wallace

So clever I scare myself!

Post by Bad Ass Wallace »

I have wanted a bigger bullet than the Lyman 515141 (445gn) as a hunting bullet in my 50/70. In discussions with local shooters, I was offered an RCBS mould that throws a 542gn bullet BUT it has the same problem as the Lyman in that it takes up a lot of powder space in the short 50/70 case.

To try and get more space I looked at my 45/70 FL die body dia 0.500 and thought if I could run the first two driving bands into this die then I would have a bore riding nose section and two driving bands only inside the case. I turned up a dummy shell holder to properly align the bullet with the die and used a 3/8th nylon punch through the top of the die to push the bullet out.

The results are great; a 542gn projectile with a full 72gn FFG is grouping 3" at 100yds and chronographs at 1194fps av.
Hold still Varmint, while I plugs yer!
bulldog

Post by bulldog »

I admire a young whippersnapper like yourself making due. Funny thing is, I bet you scare a lot of other guys too by your creativity. Some guys are afraid to try or say anything without getting 10 opinions first. Course some guys got no sense and try anything - some survive and some don't. Anyway, sounds like you made a good bullet!
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

that is a good idea I think I'm gonna go try that with some oversize pp 750s and see how they will work that is the size I'm lookin for thanks for the tip.....................Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Have you seen the new Lee mold that drops out a 500gr flat nose bullet. Cast some up last week and they look good. We hope to give them a try this week.
Shoot Straight
MBW

tapered bullet

Post by MBW »

B.A.W. I just read your post and liked your solution. Not being a machinist or having that equiptment I was lucky to find another solution that I have been using for a few yrs with some loads. Not my idea though, I'm not that clever. Paul Matthews (writer of some great BPCR books) had the idea to make a taper bullet by inverting it in the lube/sizer (on the RCBS & Lyman that would be nose 1st into the die) for the 1st band or 2. In the 45-70 I use a .450" die for this in my RCBS sizer and then I can seat the bullet way out to cram in more powder. At 100 yds the accuracy is fine but I have not tested it long range. Squashing a bullet down (even part of it) .008 or .009 is bound to have some bad effect on the long range accuracy. Now that is just a guess on my part as I haven't tested it out. But Lyman does make a Matthews design taper bullet mold for the 45-70 that came out last year. But I think that you would have to go the custom mold route to get your taper 50 unless someone on this site knows of one being made. Good luck...
Meyer
NRA Life
CRPA Life
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

BAW ! Good idea ! But just what is it that you are hunting that needs 542grains of lead in it to die ? I would have gone for the 450gr bullet or the 300gr .50cal bullet of the express 50/110 type ! JAGG
JAGG
Bad Ass Wallace

Post by Bad Ass Wallace »

In Australia, we have a plague of sabre-toothed field mice that are about about 4 inches long and will stand right up on their hind legs and give you rude gestures with their fingers after they have taken a bite out of every piece of your food.

To own a 50/70 rifle such as mine, you have to show the authorities a genuine need and a genuine reason to possess such a 'weapon'. Control of agricultural pests is acceptable!

I shot my first one some 26 years ago with a 300gn bullet from a 375H&H but it only wounded it and a second shot was needed to put it down.

I figure the 540gn would not only kill these tenacious critters but after passing through their body would dig a trench big enough to bury it. This would also be enviornmentally sustainable management as one shot would do the whole job thus reducing noise pollution and minimising smoke pollution to the atmosphere!
Hold still Varmint, while I plugs yer!