Paper Patch Bullet Mold

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

sackett

Paper Patch Bullet Mold

Post by sackett »

Does anyone make a mold for a paper patch bullet or must I swage the bullets. Was reading Paul Matthews book and he had an adjustable mold, is that still an option? Would these molds run the same price as Brooks or Jones molds, or more?

Sackett
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Buffalo Arms:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,276.html

Dave Gullo also sells the paper & the template.
Mark Dunn

Post by Mark Dunn »

I just received an adjustable PP mould from Tom Ballard. He also provided a template and wad punch. He did an excellent job.
sackett

Post by sackett »

Never thought of looking on BA's site. Didn't see one in the catalog (probably looked right over it), so I figured it was a custom only.

Mark, do you have a number for Tom Ballard. And what caliber is yours? I am looking for a .45 cal.

Thanks...Sackett
Buckskinner

paper patch mould

Post by Buckskinner »

Sackett

Steve Brooks will make you a good pp mould, he doesn't have a web page but here is his address and phone no.

Steve Brooks
1610 Dunn Ave.
Walkerville Mt. 59701

(406)782-5114

gary
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

NEI makes several paper patch moulds in a numbe of different calibers, and can make one to your exact specs. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Rick Crabtree

Post by Rick Crabtree »

The NEI and RCBS mould are too big in diameter. Best results will be had shooting a bore diameter (after patching) bullet, if you are using Black Powder. I have a Tom Ballard mould and like it very much. I also like my Steve Brooks grease groove mould, I am sure his PP moulds would be great.
" I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees"
sackett

Post by sackett »

Decided to go with Tom Ballard's adj PP mold. Goes from 245 grns to 540 grns. Sent him a check for $130, and he said I should have it in a couple weeks. That really works for me.

Sackett
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Rick, the NEI mould that I have is not to large in dia. :!: When I do my part and use the correct thickness paper, it shoots very well indeed. I am not sure if this or any other PP bullet will ever be able to perform on a par with top quality lube grooved bullets, but I aim to keep trying :!:

What do you think the max. dia. of a PP bullets should be? Not trying to dispute your information, just like more info. :D Randy
Randy Ruwe
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Sackett. do you know if Mr Ballard has a website where one can view pictures of his moulds? I would like to see one. How is the adjustable mould for repeatability? That would be my biggest concern about an adjusable mould. Randy
Randy Ruwe
BRLMKR

Post by BRLMKR »

Omaha,
Mr. Ballard does not have a website. My .44 caliber adjustable PP mould from him is made from Lyman blanks. I cast different weight bullets, then always save one that is the weight I'm looking for with the alloy I'm using. When I want to go back to that weight, I insert the bullet in the mould and adjust to fit. Works good!
T.C.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

TC, sounds very simple, but very effective :!: Thanks, I am not sure I would have thought of that. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Rick Crabtree

Post by Rick Crabtree »

For 45 caliber rifles assuming a .450 bore and. 457-.458
groove I like a bullet the tapers from .452 to .448 AFTER patching. In my expierence at least a third of the patch should be out of the case and up into the barrel. If I use a blow tube between shots I get 1.5 moa.(target shooting) In cooler weather I can get 3 inch group for 5 shots at 100 yards without using a blow tube or wiping the barrel.(hunting). I have used PP bullets up to groover diameter and gotten good accuracy as long as wiping between shots and seating the bullets deep. but generally ithese were tedious loads and aggravating to use.
" I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees"