I went to the range today

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger Dr

I went to the range today

Post by Trigger Dr »

To get settings on a new sight.
The laod that I normally shoot, ie. 72 gr cart goex dropped 24" compressed .35, 540 gr postell ( lyman 457132) .025 milk carton wad, WLRM primers, Win brass, usually shoots a little dirty. Usually the temperature runs in the mid 70's. Today it was 93, and humidity unknown. Out of my 33" green Mtn barreled roller,after 43 rounds, the first patch was wet, the second was also wet but came out C L E A N !!! All the next 3 patches were clean... not even a smudge.
I don' understand this... the durned thing really shot clean today. Now the sight... going to make a boat anchor out of it. It would not go low enough to hit the paper at 100 yds. I was 3 feet high. No, it was N OT a Heilman, but a well known brand with a good reputation. I think they sent me one for a rifle with more drop in the wrist.
Trigger Dr Jim Milner
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Jim: what's your lube?

That is very good shooting results for as hot as it was today & a 43 shot string to boot.

Over on this side of the bridge it was hotter than by you. @ approx 7:30 PM, it was 95 over here....
LJBass

Post by LJBass »

Jim,
Pretty warm up here today. I just checked my handy dandy RadioShack dodad and it says the humidity is around 50 percent. Within limits I've found most of my loads shoot cleaner with higher velocity in warmer weather as long as the fouling is kept under control. I think it has to do with the basic inefficiency of black powder. If you were shooting on a covered line I can understand everything working pretty well with the humidity where it is. If you were shooting on an uncovered line it's a miracle and you should put yourself in line for a sainthood! :lol:
Regards, LJ
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Saint Jim? ... I don't think so. Yes it was a covered range, but still HOT.I think the judicious use of the blow tube saved me
Jim

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Buckskinner

Sight setting

Post by Buckskinner »

Trigger Dr.

You gave mention to sights on your post. I am a little off subject here but you have first hand experience with Ron Heilman sights. What kind of finish does Ron put on his sights? Are they of a high gloss finish as in MVA or a flat finish?

My Shiloh barrel is not of the polish finish and I think I would like the sights to match the general look of my rifle. I am thinking about buying his front and rear Soule sight.

Thanks for your time
Gary
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!
Smokin

Heilman sight finish

Post by Smokin »

Buckskinner,

The finish on Ron's front sight is black (very, very dark blue?) matte, but I don't know how he finishes his tang sights. Call him at 253-840-2623.

Smokin
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Ray Newman
Sorry, I missed posting an answer to your lube question. I used the Paul Matthews lube.

4 oz beeswax,
2 oz Neatsfoot OIL
2 oz Murphy's oil soap

his stuff stays foirm in the heat, yet is pliable in the cold
Jim

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team