Ballistol

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

wwben47

Ballistol

Post by wwben47 »

Gents:
On "Colonel" Lee Stones recommendation I ordered some Ballistol. But wanting to use bore butter, I decided to use TC #13. Went to the range day before yesterday..Cleaned with the 13..patches were "clean" when I put it away.
This morning I decided to use the Ballistol and a brush..After the first wet patch a very very slight trace amount of "stuff" on the patch. Used a wet patch wrapped around a brush to make it tight, wet the bore with it, removed the patch, and then brushed ten strokes..I could not believe what came out of that barrel!
Pure black powder fouling! The patches were black with it.
I am going to continue the bore butter, but will then try # 13 with brushing and compare the results..but so far the Ballistol wins hands down.
Thanks Lee!
Shoot it?..I caint even see it!
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

WW47 ! The only thing i ever got out of TC#13 was a rusty bore ! It is a water base product that may be just radiator water pump lube and water ! I left it in for 12 hours or less and it rusted my bore brown ! Use it quick and then wipe it out and lube or oil the bore right away ! JAGG
JAGG
wwben47

Post by wwben47 »

Jagg..I am not sure it could rust!..There was so much lead under that gunk, i spent much of the afternoon scrubbing with a brush. I like the way the balisstol cleans..but when you said something about the #13 being water-based, made me look at the Ballistol label again..It doesnt list ingrediants other than mineral oil...But a wet patch or two of it was what started bringing the lead out. Got finished with that and coated the bore with "Pro Shot" cleaner lubricant...We shall see
[/i]
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

WW, I use a mixture of Windex (not the kind w/ammonia, but the type with Vinegar) and Ballistol as a cleaning solution. I mix them 50-50, and it seems (to me anyway) to work very well. I use 3-4 wet patches followed by two dry ones. If I notice even a few flakes of lead, I follow this up with a patch liberally doused with Kroil, and when I get home from the range, I coat another patch w/Kroil and wrap it around a bore brush and scrub out the bore.

One more dry patch down the bore and I am done. When I next shoot the rifle, I put a dry patch down the bore, then follow that up with a patch that has my bullet lube on it and pre-lube the bore before shooting. Pat Taylor and Jim Eggleston taught me to do the pre-lube last year. It was good advice. Randy
Randy Ruwe
wwben47

Post by wwben47 »

Randy..Thanks for the advice..I will definitely give that a try...Anything is better than what came out of that barrel today!
woodpuppy

moose milk

Post by woodpuppy »

I know muzzleloading is different than BPCR, but good cleanin' is important to both. I'd been taught to use this particular concoction of "moose milk" and I'd like to hear your comments on it:

equal parts peroxide, pine-sol, and soluble oil, then cut with water.

I've had good results with this stuff in terms of accuracy and cleaning, but I'm rather fanatical about cleaning after shooting. I always take the barrel out of the rifle(it's a TC Hawken), pull cleanout screw and nipple, stick the breachblock end in HOT soapy water, and scrub till she's spotless. Then once the hot water has evaporated off, I use (don't read anything into my choice of oil, it's just what's in my box now) Pro-shot cleaner/lubricant on the bore and outside. Before I shoot the rifle next, I'll wipe out excess oil from the bore & cleanout & nipple, snap a few caps, then swab bore with the moose milk and go.
Montana Roughrider .45-70
don marable

ballistol cleaning

Post by don marable »

WW and Woodpuppy:

I am a newbe with about seven months and 800 to 900 rounds of experience. I shoot a 45-110 with somewhere between 105 and 107 grains of Goex Fg. I got my initial and most of my subsequent loading information from Rdnck, and I have never had any lead in the barrel. I have cleaned with Butch's bore shine, TC #13, Sagebrush's Bore cleaner and plain water. I have never seen any rust, but after cleaning I run a patch saturated with Break Free through my barrel. Actually I run it to the muzzle and back, so in reality, I run it through my barrel twice. The next time I want to shoot I just shoot. No preseasoning or barrel wiping. In my worst case results, at 100 yards my first shot may be one inch high, but usually it is less. Mon Yee clued me in to using Break Free.

Break Free works for me.

As they say, find what works for your rifle.

Don