Cleaning patches….

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Ray Newman

Cleaning patches….

Post by Ray Newman »

Tip: go to the yardage store & buy some cotton flannel.

I recently bought 2 yds (36X72“) for the princely sum--inc. tax--of US $7.98.

Out of this material I cut aprox 650 2x2” patches.

Be sure to wash the sizing out before cutting.

I’d also recommend that you buy a cutting mat, straight edge, & pizza-like cutter. The cutting matt is ‘self-healing” plastic. These will bring up the initial cost, but it will not take you too long before you have the whole kit & caboodle paid for. They will also make it a great deal easier to cut the patches.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
woodpuppy

Post by woodpuppy »

Beats the hell out of 100 or so patches for 5 bucks, doesn't it?

I went to buying my own flannel and cutting it myself about a year ago. I'm still on my first 3-yard bundle, and haven't looked back. I also cut 2" wide strips of pillow ticking to patch balls for my front-stuffer. Spray a little lube or moose milk on the patch, start the ball into the barrel, cut the strip of ticking off flush with the muzzle, and ram er down on your powder.

Just grab the scissors and your flannel or ticking and cut some patches/strips while watching the news or a movie..... you can also use those big paper cutters like you might have at the office, just don't try to cut too much at once.
Montana Roughrider .45-70
Poison Slinger

Post by Poison Slinger »

Guys,

Don't forget to watch for sales on 'Flannel Bed Sheets'. Last early spring Wally World had twin set marked down to $0.99 and I picked up a couple sets. Cheaper even than the bulk material - and they work great. Kinda fun to have little fire trucks on my patches....

Rick
Cody