Best over all hunting caliber for sharps?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Best over all hunting caliber for sharps?

Post by 604 »

:D
Need some frendly advice. I have my long range sharps, and am wanting to order one just for hunting. That old heavy barrel is just a bit mutch to lug threw the mountains! But I can't decide on the cal. I think I have narrowed down to three. 45-90, 45-110, or 40-90 bottleneck. I realy am leaning twards the 40-90. It will be used for every thing from deer to moose, and mabe even a bear. And lasty can one use 45-90 win cases for the 45-90 sharps?
Thanks for any input.
sharps5090

Post by sharps5090 »

If it was me, I would go with the cool factor and get the 40-90.
The 45-90 Win and Sharps use the same case.
Have fun.
Chris

Post by 604 »

:D
Thanks for the info. The 40-90 would be pretty neet. But I like the 45-90 to. I might just flip a coin!
Thanks,
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Hey, If you really want a good hunting caliber that is an ORIGINAL chambering, has the "COOLNESS"factor, will kill anything legal to hunt on this continent, and is available from Shiloh, go with the 44/77 in a 28" standard barrel business rifle.
Trigger Dr jim Milner
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
N2

Post by N2 »

604 - You did state this was a hunting rifle, not a LR or silhouette rifle to be used for hunting. With moose and bear on the menu the best choice you have listed is the 45-110. A better choice would be the 50-90, but you don't list it as one of your alternatives. A 50 caliber bullet kills more surely than a 45 today just as it did 130 years ago. - Nick
deerhuntsheatmeup

nick....

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Yes Nick, You are right.

But, It kills what's on both ends of the gun(pun)

Excuse my attemp at humor....

Bring plenty of ammo.....

Later, Barfield
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

I understand that the 40-90 is difficult to find a good load for. I had originally ordered my Shilo in the 40-90 straight configuration. However after exaustive checking on the 40-90 straight as well as the 40-90 BN I found that they both fowled badly after a few rounds were fired and that they were difficult to find a load for. I ended up with the 45 2.4 (45-90) and I am very happy with that choice. The .45-90 winchester is the same case the difference is that the Winchester rifles were set up with a slower twist to stablize a 300 grain bullet. This slow twist does not stabalize the heavy 500 grainers for longer ranges. However the faster twist of the rifling in the Shilo .45 rifles will stabalize the 300 grain all the way past 580 grain bullets.
I also remembered long ago when I was a small boy reading that the black powder bottle neck cartriges and large powder capacity cases were difficult at best and this was from some of the older writers of the day.
Should you check back into the history of the rifles and calibers you will find these to be true.
I choose the 45 2.4 for a couple of reasons one is that the availability of the bullet molds is so extensive from 330 grain lyman to the 580 grain Paul Jones and about another 10 or so in between. The powder capacity gives a good 1250 fps to a 550 grain bullet and the recoil is not as bad as a bullet at 1400 fps. Plus it will shoot thru anything on this continent properly loaded.
Not trying to step on anyones toes here. The .50 caliber rifles are great as well and the thing about recoil is a thing of physics for the opposit and equal action and reaction. A 450 grain bullet at 1250 fps will give virtually the same recoil in a .45 cal as it will in a .50 cal rifle of the same weight. The bullet selection is not as good for the .50 cal.
The .50 2.5 (.50-90) is a great killer. I have used one for a few deer and a couple of elk. One of the deer was at about 50 yds and I caught him right behind the rib cage on the right side. The 385 grain bullet of pure lead lodged in his left sholder after breaking one rib and destroying his sholder. This impact somehow knocked him flat on his nose on the ground, He jumped up, took 2 steps and fell over again dead.
The .45 caliber rifles will do the same type of thing with as soft flat nosed bullet and a 90 grain powder charge.
If recoil is a concearn the .45 2.1 (,45-70) or .50 1 3/4 (.50-70).
If recoil is not a problem for you the .45 2 7/8 (.45-110) may be a good way for you to go. Kenny and some of the other shooters are having success with it and a good charge of GOEX Fg and a heavy bullet.
Also advise you to check out the Paul Jones hunting bullets and molds they are great.
All of these .45 and .50 are great calibers and the Shilo rifles are just flat fantastic.
I would also advise you to read all of the posts on this site as well as the posts on the GOEX.com site. Then also read Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West by Mile Venturino. He knows of which he speaks. I dont know if Mike will remember or not. But someone once asked him at the Shootist Holiday in Alpine Wyoming if he would shoot there bolt rifle. Mikes reply was that he did not like to shoot anything without a hammer.
Also read the Reloading Primer by Mike Venturino and Steve Garbe.
Sure this takes some time but it will be an education in a hurry. Also set up an area in the Documents file of your computer so you may copy and paste a number of the reloading techniques and information that you gather for later use.
Good Shooting
Nels Sale
Life is to short to shoot an ugly rifle.
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

604 ! A 45/70 is all that you will need ! JAGG
JAGG
Shiloh Sharpie

Post by Shiloh Sharpie »

I have used the .45-90 and find it fabulous. Good, accurate loads for it as well. Paperpatching information abounds for the .45 which is a nice option for more powder and velocity wqith decreased leading. The .45-90 just might have it all.
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS Life member
NRA member
---------------------------------------------------------
#1 Sporter; 45-90; Steel buttplate; Pewter forend cap; extra fancy wood; 30 inch heavy octagon; Marble Tang Sight; MVA 111 front

Thanks!

Post by 604 »

Thanks to Grizz and every one for all the great info! I have decided to go with the 45-90. That way I can use the same slugs as my 45-70. Dose any one happen to have a favorit brand of brass for the 45-90? Or know witch has the largest powder volume? Also I have the good Redding match seating die for my 45-70. Am I corect in that I can also use that of the 45-90. I love that die! I have 0 run out on the bullets every time.

Thanks again for all the help.
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

604 are you planning on burning black powder? The best place for what you need is www.buffaloarms.com. Dave Gullo is the person to speak with and he may share his extensive 45-90 information with you. Should you purchase Starline brass you will need to anneal the case necks to gain accuracy.
If I knew what you are using at this time for the 45-70 that would help in the recommendations.
Also as before the messages on this board are a wealth of information in general for loading the Sharps Rifles.
Life is to short to shoot an ugly rifle.
KHR

Post by KHR »

grizz gives excellent advice, I have a '86 winchester in 45/90 and, even with the light bullets that its rifling requires, it packs a wallop, completely through the big hogs we have here. A heavy 420-520 gn 45/90 would be even more powerful. Two things, first paper patch bullets might be a great way to go for excellent expansion. Second to tame recoil perhaps ask for a Braco recoil reducer to be installed.
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

I have a 45-90. I have used Starline and Bell brass. I like the Starline best. They say the streached 45-70 brass from Buffalo Arms works even better but I have not tried them yet.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Hands down, I'd vote for the .45-90 and buffaloarms.com stretched brass. Not even a contest among the three that you listed.

If I were to pick from just any cartridge around, the .44s would be the only thing that could tempt me. A .50-90 has given me weak moments, but in the end, a .45 is just the cat's meow of cartridges.

Somewhere in here, you need to consider what bullet you wish to shoot too. At least for me, it matters along with considering the chambering; the two issues are inextricably related.

Brent