Hunting loads for 45-70 and 45-100

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Michael Johnson

Hunting loads for 45-70 and 45-100

Post by Michael Johnson »

I spent the day at the range testing accuracy and velocity. All loads used pure lead Paul Jones 45017 bullets. They mic at 0.458. I finger lubed them with DGL lube to which I added 30 cc of Lubeguard to 16 ounces of melted lube. I tried several loads for the 45-70 and 45-100. Accuracy between different powder charges was equivalent. The 45-70 groups were 1.5 inches at 100 yards. The 45-100 groups were 2 inches at 100 yards. I attribute some of this to the fact that the pure lead bullets vary a little more in weight than the 30-1 bullets. They are within 0.5 grain of each other as opposed to within 0.2 grains for the 30-1. The bullets weigh 489 grains. Powder was Swiss 3F. Winchester cases for the 45-70. Starline cases for the 45-100. Best loads as follows: 45-70, CCIBR2 primer, 70 grains drop tubed, 0.030 LPDE wad, compression of 0.100, newsprint wad between LPDE and bullet, thumb seated and crimped, OAL = 2.672 ( 20 thousandths off the rifling) avg velocity of 1314 fps, ES of 8, SD of 3. The 45-100 load: CCIBR2 primer, 89 grains powder drop tubed, 0.060 LPDE wad, compression of 0.130, newsprint wad between LPDE and bullet, thumb seated and crimped, OAL = 3.188 (20 thousandths off the rifling) avg velocity of 1426 fps ES of 6, SD of 2. The most amazing thin was that there was no leading! That really surprised me. I think these loads are accurate enough for hunting. With the velocity and the softness of pure lead they should do a good job. For those who are not familiar with this bullet it is a flatnose (basically the Jones Creedmoor with the nose cut off) Sorry for the long post. I thought it might provide some useful info to the hunters on this forum. -Mike
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Hey Mike, was thinking about your buffalo hunt Thursday when I drove through Lusk on the way back from Big Timber. Was thinking about going out to the ranch that you and I visited to look at those beasts again, but had to get to Alliance to shoot the new LRE 45-110. Sound like you got some good hunting loads worked up there, hope you guys do good on your hunt, and looking forward to seeing you all in July.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Michael Johnson

I envy a fellow that has two 45-110's. When Kirk starts making Borchardts I am gonna order a hunting rifle with a 26 inch barrel 45-110 with a target weight of about 9.5 pounds. Should make a great carry gun and won't kick much different than my 416 Remington Mag. - Mike
rdnck

45-110 hunting rifle

Post by rdnck »

Michael--Why wait for a Borchardt? Do what I did and order a Business Rifle with a shotgun buttplate in 45-110.

By the way, I have a buffalo hunt lined up for early November. I will use my 14 1/2 pound Number 3 Sporter in 45-110. With 106 grains of Goex 1f and a 552 grain Paul Jones Creedmoor bullet, it put five in .900 today at 100 yards off of sticks. That oughta do it.

Good luck, and good hunting. See you at Kenny W's shoot next year. Shoot straight, rdnck.

Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Offhand that won't be an issue. Shooting prone is where you really feel it. I was suprised in the difference between my bull barrel and the 34" heavy as far as felt recoil. There's probably only 3 pounds more or less weight difference and the recoil on the 34" heavy LRE is much more pronounced. I shot 40+ rounds through it on Sunday with the Sagebrush ugly recoil pad without the slightest bit of discomfort.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Michael Johnson

You guys will need gunbearers to tote those hoglegs around. I want something I can put a sling on and hike several miles with. I don't plan to target shoot with something this light. That's what my 45-100 LRE is for! Have fun on your buff hunt Bill; I am going to enjoy mine in November. - Mike