Need "Recoil Pad" advice.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RedTip17

Need "Recoil Pad" advice.

Post by RedTip17 »

HELP,
I need to get a recoil pad for my Sharps. I want to get a Lace-on OR Slip-on because I refuse to modify the rifle stock in any way. I'd prefer a leather lace-on rather than a rubber slip-on. (Had a bad experience with a slip-on screwing up stock finish due to moisture)
I just can't seem to find one that's small enough to fit the Sharps butt.
Man, It's hell to get old and have Arthritis. Just can't take 20 rounds back to back anymore. :cry: Can anyone steer me to a supplier that could furnish one that would fit???? Redtip17
RedTip17 aka: Bill
Buckskinner

recoil pad

Post by Buckskinner »

redtip17

Have you considered a shoulder type recoil pad? I use a brand called Pfast it straps on your shoulder. They give you a lot of room to postion the rifle butt and make most rifles very shootable. Many of the folks on the forum use a brand sold by Bufflo Arms.

www.buffaloarms.com

Look them up on the web site and see what you think!
Gary
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!
Brent

Post by Brent »

don marable

Recoil Pad

Post by don marable »

RedTip17:

Try the below link. It will put you on the exact page for a recoil pad made for small rifle stocks.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,848.html

If you purchase this pad, let me know how it works as I am contemplating purchasing a similar type recoil pad. Also, like you, the reason for the recoil pad is arthritis.

When I shoot at the range I use a strap on type Shoulder pad, but for hunting purposes and plinking type shooting a lace on pad has some appeal.

Don
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

What are you shooting that you need a recoil pad for? j/k... Some of our big guns can sure pack a wallop, but I haven't had much discomfort with mine, except for a few HOT smokeless loads I fired in it. I'm sticking to BP/Lead from now on. I've only shot some 405gr bullets out of my 45 2 1/10, and even with 73gr GOEX FFg, the recoil doesn't bother me much. I hope it will not be greatly increased with 500-540gr bullets.

I DID pick up one of the PAST shoulder pads. It definitely does eat up a lot of the shock of the recoil, but I found shooting off the bench with it feels funky. Not sure about offhand or sitting/prone, because I haven't shot in those positions yet.
RedTip17

Post by RedTip17 »

Matthew,
it's a 45-70, shooting smokeless right now. Problem is with the Arthritis. I can't get down on the stock like I should be able to. It puts the top of the butt plate low on my shoulder and the top corner of the butt plate nails me at a spot only about 2 sq.inch contact. It Bites pretty good.
I may end up making an adapter to let me reposition the butt without making any modification to the stock itself. Just replace the butt plate and use a larger recoil pad. :wink: Redtip17
Brent

Post by Brent »

Bill,
I have done something different with my Sharps .45-100. It has a military crecent plate and that whacks me a good bit. Later, I got a Muzzleloader's lace on sling from Cabelas which I use for hunting. It wraps around the barrel at one end but the other has a lace on boot that goes around the buttplate on the other end. This boot, I leave on the rifle. However, a realized that it could do double duty as a recoil pad if I put 3/4" of leather between it and the inside of that crescent. In doing so, I slightly widened and reduced the curvature of the butt, and increased length of pull.

That really helps make this rifle easier to shoot from the bench. You might try it.

One thing about the lace on pads that we posted earlier this morning. The laces along the toe may mess with your bags when benching. FWIW, my lace-on sling-pad that I described has laces on the right side - They still touch the ears of the bag, but it's much better than a toe lacing.

Here is a copy of the url to the sling I mentioned
Brent
[url]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true[/url]
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Bill, get a hold of Sagebrush products and get an ugly butt. My wife uses one, they are not much to look at, but it seems to work good for her, and when your done it just slips off and you can hide it. They have a web sight or you can contact Harlan Sage here on the forum. Hope this helps, Thanks Kirk
Pathfinder

Post by Pathfinder »

Hi Bill'
Another "quick & dirty way to go without modifying the rifle is to have your wife sew a pocket into your favorite shooting "T" shirt that you can slip a resilant foam pad into. The foam that I used was from the back of an old worn out folding camp chair- works great! Good luck, it will cut down on your flinching! :roll: ........Pathfinder
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

RT17 ! Here is a better idea ! Just get another butt stock and have it cut an fitted for a pad ! JAGG
JAGG
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Get a butt pad called the Shooter's Friend. Both Sagebrush and Cabelas' sell it and it will tame even the hottest .45-110 loads. It is the best choice, and is something that will stay in place and not have to be straped on you or laced on your rifle. Easily switches from one rifle to another. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

I have an old import sharps with military butt . This thing can HURT. The gun only weighed about 7 1/2 pounds until I spent $40.00 plus and installed a BREAKO recoil redicer from Brownells. This increased the weight to 8 1/2 pounds, and reduced the felt recoil to 20 ga shotgun proportions. This is an easy do it your self installation if you have any experience with wood work.
Jim Milner
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
RD146

Recoil pad

Post by RD146 »

Hi; You might want to consider the "Limb Saver" as sold by either Cabelas or Midway. It is a black slip-on and is available in three sizes. The medium size fits the Sharps #l sporter-shotgun butt perfectly however it adds about 1" to the length of pull. This worked because most stocks are too short for me anyway. Not a bad looking pad as slip-on's go. Fired the "Sagebrush BPCR Shoot" last wk end, very comfortable.

From the land of the Yankton Sioux
Regards
RD146
RedTip17

Post by RedTip17 »

RD146,
Going to try the "Limb Saver" slip on this morning. My range has them & said I could try it and if I like it, I can buy it or return it. Bill
Steve Silverman

Recoil pad

Post by Steve Silverman »

Cabela has several different sizes. Get the one that is the exact size of the butt (Better a little smaller and stretch it than too large and loose). I like the lace up. It fits the style better. I use a Past recoil pad and a 13 lb rifle and max Marlin loads with the 405gr cast bullet. No pain at all. -ss