World Creedmoor Match

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kenny Wasserburger

World Creedmoor Match

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Hey guys,

I will be heading out tommrow afternoon for Raton NM for the World Creedmoor Assoc. Match.

I will be using my 45-110 L.R. Express Shiloh Sharps for the entire match. I took delivery of this rifle Sept 20 1994, it has a #1 Heavy 34 inch barrel and weighs in at 13 lbs. Sights consist of MVA Buffalo Soule rear sight with the MT mag Eyecup, and the MVA Spirit level front, I use High power style apps made by Ron Snover for the front sight.

Load consists of Norma brass Trimmed to 2.875 with a custom made Lee Trimer, all brass are annealed after each firing. My ammo is loaded with a .479 outside diameter of the neck. Jones Creedmoor is sized to .458. Brass is Sized to give .0015 neck tension, as best I can measure. I do run the loaded round though a way backed off sizer die (4.5 turns) to remove the slight bell on the brass.

107 grs of Fg Goex lot 1-70.
Compressed .420, .060 Poly Wad, and then newsprint wad, 540 gr Paul Jones Creedmoor cast 1-20 they weigh 536.3 to 536.8 grs. The over all lenght is 3.690. This load with most recent chrono Data, Raton this year was running 1337 fps avg. This load has a avg SD of 4 fps. ES of 11 FPS.

This load has shot some incredible groups at 200 yards off the bench with my MVA Scope mounted on it this past year. Same load has on quite a few occasions, June- Aug of 2003 and Sept of 2003 and Sept 2004, has shot some very very good groups at 900 yards.

One of the things I have noticed and so have fellow shooters that this load holds elevation very well at long range. I shot over 43 rounds with out cleaning at last weeks LR Match in Rawlins WY.

Hope to see a few of you at Raton this week.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Dan Fernandez

Post by Dan Fernandez »

Hey Kenny best of luck to you. Make sure you show everyone what that Shiloh 45-110 can do. I know you are up to the challange. By the way Caustic says hello.

DAN
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Good luck Kenny. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Kenny,
Our plans changes and we will not be able to go. With the kids in school and their football games just starting and not to mention our busiest month this year in business. We have to take care of business first.
Good luck to you and Jimbo.

Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
bulldog

Post by bulldog »

Best wishes to you , Kenny. You are one dedicated shooter! Thank you also for putting out yer load info. I think you'll do well; very well!
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Thanks guys!

Danny, Tell Castic howdy back, I miss Dave's banter at the matches!

Randy thanks also to you.

Harlin wish you guys were going to be there! But I know how it goes.

Bulldog, I wish I could shoot much more then I get too that darn work thing keeps getting in the way. I do like to attend the big matches enjoy them alot I have some good pals from all over the world coming to this one.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Dave Shaw

Post by Dave Shaw »

Kenny,

Having visited Raton for the first time this year (did both the mid and creedmore)and can not wait for my next nationals, I wish you every sucssess.
KHR

Post by KHR »

Kenny
good luck, I got me a 45/110 this summer, with the 14lb barrel. Your posts have been invaluable in getting started. I have a question on case annealing, I have just started annealing my cases. I get the top 3/4 inch to glow a dull orange and then quench in cold water. Is this procedure ok? Should I get a temperature crayon, and what brass temperature is optimal?
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
Smokin

annealing

Post by Smokin »

KHR,

Cautionary information follows immediately: I'm not a metallurgist and only am parroting what I have read and heard, but also will relate my experiences with annealing. The critical temperature for brass annealing is about 675 degrees F. Heating the brass to an orange glow is much too hot. Cartridge brass needs to mantain some hardness to provide the ability to predicatably hold and/or release the bullet at time of firing. Heating the brass to incandescence will soften it too much. Reworking the brass by sizing and expanding repeatedly may work harden it enough to have a predictable bullet release, but this procedure, as with firing the rounds, should shorten the life of the case. If the oxidation colors of iron during the tempering process are also indicative of the same temperature range in brass, bringing the brass to a blue to brown color will give you a 700+ degree heat, which is probably withing acceptable limits. Being sosmewhat of a Primitive Pete, I've heated case necks with a propane torch while holding them by the base in my fingers. I do this in a mostly dark room. The brass will color before the point of incandescence and that is the point when I pitch the case into a bucket of water. The occasional case will begin to glow a very deep, cherry red and I can notice a difference in the effort required while sizing and expanding; I'm guessing that this is due to a greater softening from the greater heat.

Many have suggested immersing oxdized cases in oil, then molten lead to anneal them. The temperatures are about right, but what a mess! I've tried it and can't get the process down correctly to avoid soldering stuff to my cases. It is a chore indeed to get the cases clean, not to mention the excitment and pure joy of cooking ones fingers while dangling cases in molten lead.

I've toyed with the idea of filling an old lead pot with salt and heating that to about 700 degrees to try that process for annealling. Salt will not melt at moderate temperatures and being water soluable should be easily rinsed from the cases. Of course, were one to decide to spend money wisely, one could by an annealer from Ken Leight and be done with the fooling around. Or one could get some Temp Crayons or Tempilaq and get precise temperature response from one's attempts at science and craft, but that would be too easy. Wouldn't it? Good luck
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
arnie

Post by arnie »

Smokin , contact Ron Snover and ask him about the powder he sells for case annealing .It melts to a liquid and is non toxic even at high temps .You can use it in a lead melting pot .Arnie
KHR

Post by KHR »

Smokin
thanks thats exactly the info I needed!
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe