Cool find over the weekend

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

The wife and I went to her Dads house over the Labor Day weekend. He just happens to live in the mountains of Pa where the Allegheny National Forest is so I am happy to go for a vist any time!

If the wife has but one weakness... It is YARD SALES! After setting in the truck for a couple I decided to check this one out...seen some tools you know!

What I found was 1987 Gun Digest in good shape so I thought lets take a look in side. Hit the Jackpot with this one for sure! On page 65......Making Mr. Sharps' Rifles Today! A seven page article writen by Bill Bigelow. Complete with pictures of the shop and guns being made. Best of all... one Pic is of Wolfgang Droege shooting a #1 Sporter of Cross-sticks!

Price of find.....2 bucks......yea I brought it home!
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Capt. Call:

FWIW: Recently I found an original 1878 Sharps Catalog for sale. It had a small tear in the lower right hand corner of the first few pages but all the text was present.

I picked it up to keep with my Fancy Grade Sporting rifle due in December. It's really cool. To bad we can't buy them at that price now, heck we would all have a warehouse full of those beauties.

We can all dream though.............

Take Care,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

TS.
I think if you figure the rate of inflashion, I think the Shiloh is a bargin today.

Kurt
Minnesota AL

Book Find

Post by Minnesota AL »

Not that I need anything else to do, but I may still have available the reprint files from a print shop that reproduced the Rules of Management for the 45-70 Springfield and the 45 SAA. I think it was dated 1891. This spiral bound book has all the original ballistics charts and tables. This is the same stuff Spence Wolf put in his book.

This reprint was copied from an original that a friend purchased with a rifle several years ago. He sold the original for about $100 but made 10-20 copies at the print shop. I got two at the time and gave one away. I think they cost me $20 each, but he said the next printing would be cheaper as the initial file set-up was pretty pricey.

I'll check with my buddy and see if the print shop can run them again and post a cost when I get the info.

Al
Minnesota AL
Uriah SASS#53822
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Al: I would definitely be interested in a copy!
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Al,

I would also be interested in purchasing a copy.
Lee Stone
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Minnisota:

I to would be interested. Please feel free to contact me when they are available, and put something in it for your time and effort.

Any and all information I can acquire is one of my short term goals so I can speed up the learning curve.

I also think the Shiloh's are fair priced, but a warehouse full of the them.......... where money is no object, that would be fun.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Minnesota Al: have you seen this book or does it look familiar to you or anyone else?

http://www.trapdoors.com/rules.jpg

per the Trapsdoors galore web page:

“Rules for the Management of the Springfield Rifle and Carbine cal. 45 This is a re-print of the 1898 book by the Govt. printing office. Has 46 pages soft cover staple bound”

http://www.trapdoors.com/books/books.htm
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Minnesota AL

Books

Post by Minnesota AL »

Ray,

The reprint I have is very similar to the photo you attached. This one is 1891 (though I forgot to check the first page to see if it's a reissue of an earlier version).

It also has "and Revolvers" on the cover after carbine.

It is 50 pages for the rifle and carbine with a couple tri-folded pages for the trajectory and danger zone against cavalry. Then there is 18 pages for the Colt SAA and the S&W. The revolver accuracy and trajectory tables are very optimistic giving data out to 300 yards. Skimming it last night the only load I saw was 230 gr bullet with 28 gr powder. That would have been the 45 S&W. I think velocity was 730 fps.

Chatted with my buddy this morning, he still hasn't found the file.

Al
Minnesota AL
Uriah SASS#53822
Sergeant Major SF

Post by Sergeant Major SF »

Cpt'n, thanks. I had that volume in my library, but didn't realize the artical was there. I picked up an 1863 Military back in June for a couple hundred bucks down in Arkansas (true story, I even received 3 molds, 4 cans of powder, and over 20#of extras), but Shiloah couldn't give me any info on it at all (value, etc, not even the mfg date, etc). It would appear from the article that mine was one of the first 300 made. Great reading. Thanks.