Winter Bear Hunt

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bulldog

Winter Bear Hunt

Post by bulldog »

Don't know about down south, but winter coming along fast around here. Temps dropping and bears moving. Me and the dog been tracking one for days - has 18 inch prints and moving about 20 mi per day across the Missouri breaks and ravines but we haven't spotted it yet. Carrying the 15 pound Sharps and 50 extra rounds just to be sure. 50-90. Never know what you might run into so best be prepared. Kinda harde on an old man. I swear the dog runs 30 feet right and left for each 10 ft. forward. Doesn't miss a thing! He can't quite catch them jackrabbits but boy does he try. More later.
bobw

g-bears

Post by bobw »

Bulldog that there dog of yourn been eatin to many jacks leastways ones that been chewing on hemp. The last G- bear in No Dakata came to the Grand River in So Dakata where he and ole Hugh Glass had'em a huggin contest that neither won only cost the bear his life. Haell ever body knows that ! Spend some of dat BP money on new specticles and you'll find you been foolowing ATV tracks. They finally complete that mountain removal project up there in flat land? bobw
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

bobw, If I'm not mistaken bulldog is a professional Sasquatch tracker, and those are most likely the tracks hes following. Say bulldog, is it true that Bigfoot speakes with a French Canadian accent?
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
bulldog

Hunt

Post by bulldog »

You guys are lucky I got my ipod satelite sos we can correct some misconceptions. Sasquachawea was I think the wife of Lewis or Clark on the expedition in about 1803-06 and believe me he shot many griz up here before he even got to Montana and yes, half Montananans is French due to implantation and misconceptions as French were there before Clark and definitely after. Did you know he even had a pellet gun or air rifle that pumped up and shot prety big slugs? Not at the bear as he used muskets. I've walked the Missouri where the expedition went or at least some of it and in fact am still doing it. The last recorded G-bear is diff than the ones we track as they ain't recorded. Yes, we seen those atvs too and I winged a couple of them but lost the track at the river. I probably shouldn't be shootin at 1000yds, but I wasn't too sure what the dern things was but I guess that global warming is making evolution speed up or go backwards as they sounded more like insects to me - I remember long ago seeing a picture of a 3ft dragon fly in the pleistocene era (or some era)plus those flying reptiles that looked like birds. - can't remember what they're called. perodactyls, maybe - anyway, got long beaks. Heck, I bet sabre tooth tigres will be back before we know it.
Capt Henry

Post by Capt Henry »

I was just up in the Dakota's this past couple of weeks and I never seen nuthin like what you guys are talking about :shock: I guess I better change my liquid refreshments so's I can keep up. :wink:
#1 Sporter 45-70, semi-fancy wood, 30 inch barrel, shotgun butt with traditional steel butt plate. pewter tip. (buffler thumper)
tx74sharps

Post by tx74sharps »

We done kilt all them strange critters off here in the south.(must be better shots)
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Don't you guys realize that bulldog is imbred, sorry as that mybe, but bulldogs being imbred answers alot of questions about him.

Kelley O.
bulldog

Shiver me timbers

Post by bulldog »

Whew, dang near a blizzard out there. They got some term for it like what means a local high wind from up in the clouds. Brings down the ice, hail, and cold. Special word I can't remember. Yep, Kelly, I'm dang near imbred to plumbers too. My grandfather's brother was a plumber and was still working when he was 90 and died at 94. I visited him once when he was 88 and he ate only doughnuts and sweet rolls. The kitchen cabinest was filled with them. Maybe from the day old store, I don't know? Actually I like doughnuts too so ate my fill! Esp the jelly doughnuts.Turns out my father did a lot of plumbing too and really knew how to fix things and did a good job. For him it was a hobboy of sorts as he didn't trust no guy to do what he could do better. Even though he was a state senator he still crawled under the crawl space and did his own work. He taught me but I'm not so particular, but will try anything to make a repair and can get the job done. The point being that it takes one to know one and I know how it is crawling on one's back and cussing a drop of water so "i'm hardly annoyed by words on a computerized and better yet, sittin here and sip my whiskey in beer and think bear. I just remember my first lesson - heat the tubing away from the end, not the end with the solder. Took me a long time to understand the logic of heat transfer, but I was about 7 yrs old too. I know what a kerosene torch is too! No more - these days I use JB weld, ha, ha. Heck, I even tried it on my wife's tooth. Why pay the dentist $200 to glue it back! (didn't work unfortunately). Well, it's a full moon so better go look outside.
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

bulldog just proved my point, he's imbred.

Kelley O.
bulldog

Well, the bear got away.

Post by bulldog »

Dang rain and hail wiped out the tracks. Never found any more atvs either as when the tracks hit the river they didn't come out this side again and no way we could cross over as it's about one-halfmile wide. I suppose those things can swim good. So can bears but he just plain out run us. The dog did find a dead fish to his taste - big ol carp half pecked by the crows that got chased off. Guess I'll be eatin cheese dip for supper. We're plumb tuckered out; barely can stay awake making this report. Except down by the hot springs the bears will be starting to hibernate so guess we'll give it up for now. Too dangerous around them gully's leading to the springs - easy to get jumped by a big one. Or two. Durn, wish I had me a fish.
Capt Henry

Post by Capt Henry »

Its been my understanding that there is a lot of lead in the water in the northern Dakota's. :wink:
May just be a rumor tho
#1 Sporter 45-70, semi-fancy wood, 30 inch barrel, shotgun butt with traditional steel butt plate. pewter tip. (buffler thumper)