elk hunt

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jerryl

elk hunt

Post by jerryl »

I had a good weekend elk hunting. over the last 3 weeks I have been chasing a big 6 point but due to poachers I will not get to hang that big dog on my wall. I did have the pleasure of assisting in their arrest.
I did shoot a 4 point bull with the 45-70. He is not a big bull but it is my first with the bpc gun. Thank alot to RDNCK. He cast me up some 542gr 30:1 bullets. They worked great. When I put the penny on the bull he was at a 120yrd, the shot was up hill. There is no mistaking where that bullet came out. In fact it knocked him off his feet and tumbled him down hill. I love those bullets. :D
DR308

Post by DR308 »

JerryL: Congrats on the bull and the arrests. Sounds like you had quite the time. The only thing I saw alot of was Washington plates. Made me wonder where all these rich guys come from, and what they do. It's not cheap to hunt here if your from out of state as you know. I did get a shot at a good size doe last week. One for the stew pot. First one with my Sharps. ------- Jerry
#3 Sporter-45/70-32" Heavy Half bbl-Bone Pack Hardening-Set Triggers-Semi Fancy Wood-Steel Butt Plate-Pewter Foretip.
Saddle Rifle-45/90,"OLD RELIABLE"
Life Member NRA-"85" Member NRA since "66"
Life Member DAV - "69"
BOLD #664
jerryl

Post by jerryl »

dr308
When I spotted the elk the only bull that I saw was a spike and as I put the penny on him I heard a bugle. I waited as the elk were going through a saddle and the 4 point came walking out. He started bugling again and I shot. As he tumbled down hill another bull (6 point) vaulted over him. 4 more bull came past. If only I had waited.
Congrats on your deer!
I have a late rut mule deer hunt to finish out the month. Only 10 tags given in this area. The 45-70 gets another outing
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Great report and I am happy for you!
Just me and Big Nose Kate
rdnck

You bet

Post by rdnck »

jerryl--I am happy that you got your elk. The right load and bullet keeps you from having to track one after the shot. Put it in the right place, and down and on the ground right there is the way the program is supposed to work. A Shiloh 45-70 is hard to beat or even equal all around and day in and day out. Good hunting, and good shooting! Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
flatwater

amazing season

Post by flatwater »

Jerry-
congrats on your hunting season. Not so much for the bull elk you killed, but for choosing your BPCG.
But mostly, for having drawn a November bull elk tag. Many people, self included, have applied for one for more than 20 years sans success. It's a great month to hunt elk.
And a Nov rut muley buck tag! Wow. Odds on drawing both these tags in one year are next to zero.
Hope you get a big buck this next week. And I would recommend that you buy a power ball ticket...............Flatwater
Good Shooting
NRA Life Member
NRA Endowment
VFW, DAV Life