casting vs. swaging

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

wwben47

Post by wwben47 »

Jeff I hadnt really thought of that!.. I had planned on ordering in the next week or so..but waiting till we went out would give me a chance to see if something i liked was already available...And if i wait, I can possibly make a better decision on the wood I want. Beruisis how is the recoil on the 40/90?..I would be a bit overgunned for our hunting around here, but i could then have the 45/70 rebored to a longer range chambering, such as 45/110...Jeff I should get the 45/70 next week..but I am then going out of town for a week..I would like to get together with you sometime after the 23 and put the first loads thru it.
Shoot it?..I caint even see it!
Beruisis

Post by Beruisis »

wwben47, Regarding the recoil....I shot other 40/90s before I had mine built. I went ahead & had a military crescent type buttplate on the stock. Never noticed recoil while hunting with any caliber & while testing loads I wear a shoulder pad against the butt.
B
rdnck

Sage advice

Post by rdnck »

Wes--All the advice you have been given is accurate and honest. However, especially heed Beruisius and Buckeye Shooter. I know both of these gentlemen personally, and Beruisius will from time to time have a twinkle in his eye that makes you wonder if what he just said is what you thought you just heard. His analysis of your delicious delimma is as concise as it gets. Just follow Buckeye Shooter's advice and go to Big Timber and bring the plastic. That's what we all do. Going to Fort Chadbourne to try to shoot straight, rdnck.
Beruisis

Post by Beruisis »

rdnck, look foward to see you & your better half at Chadbourne Sunday.
B
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Wes, just let me know what day ahead of time so I can plan to be here and we'll break that new gun in right. I have plenty of full length sized 45-70's for you to shoot in it. I should have the Jones mould by then and we can cast some bullets and do some loading and answer some of your questions. The 31st is a buffalo shoot if you would want to do it that weekend.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

wwben47

I swage and cast good bullets with both methods.
I can swage 100 bullets faster then casting,that are superior to cast.
While I disagree with Brent,you can swage lube groove bullets with a split dies.
I have a set for a .44 and .38 in my odds and end box If I did'nt loan it out and It did'nt find it's way home.Herters made a set of split dies I used in the old Herters 9 ton press.I also have presses and dies from both Corbins. You can make good bullets both ways.
You can also reswage a cast bullets after there lubed to true them up or change the ogive.

Kurt.
wwben47

Post by wwben47 »

Thanks Leadpot..The two main reasons I was interested in swageing was safety and making bullets for paper patching. ..Right now I am leaning toward learning to cast first..then invest in a swage press. Thanks to all of ya for the advice..Its deeply appreciated.
Wes
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I would like to use swaged paper patched bullets in my (ordered) 50-70, about what does it cost to get all the stuff you need to swage, not counting the lead??
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

It ain’t cheap (compared to casting) to set up for swaging, esp if you need a new press....

See below:

http://www.corbins.com/index.htm

http://www.rceco.com/index.htm
wwben47

Post by wwben47 »

I was just catching up on some of the posts on other subjects..and saw something that applies here...They were discussing the fact that most casting equipment is made for right handed people...I had never thought of that..and being a lefty that may push me back toward the swaging...I`m kind of wondering if even though the basic swaging equipment is higher in price, it seems that less equipment is needed..So perhaps it evens out??
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

See the thread “Being a southpaw“ in the Shooter-to-Shooter board.

I’d send a PM to those posters & see if they can offer any advice.
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Ken.

Before one starts to swage you have to ask yourself what you want to accomplish with a bullet, or can I make this by casting or buy it over the counter.
When I started loading for mainly these big calibers, most of us shoot on this forum you had to cast or swage the bullets. I wanted to make jacketed bullets mainly for hunting. There simply was no commercial bullet on the market were you could find a 550 grain bullet I could find so I decided to make them my self, so I placed an order and baught a SAS Mity-Mite swage press and dies and never looked back.Later I got a corbin press and dies. What I like about the corbin press is I can use it for a loading press for the long calibers,this is Dave corbins press.Later I set my self up with Richard Corbins (RCE) press and dies.

As far as cost -yes it is a little pricy,but there is a lot of good used equipment out there, you can get started with about the same expence as buying a good lead furnace,custom dies and things that go with it.
Like I said I do both,I cast more then swage for the large calibers.
For PP bullets sawging is a good way to go.The best I think.

Kurt
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Lead Pot, I've already got all the stuff to cast with so I will probably stick with that. I've shot some PP bullets from Montanna Bullet Works and really liked them. I even bought my own patch cutting jig and paper but so far haven't used it. So many fun things to do, so little time.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter