Can one have a dual sighting system on the Shiloh Rifle

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Michael F. Roche

Can one have a dual sighting system on the Shiloh Rifle

Post by Michael F. Roche »

Hi, new to the Forum and really new to the BPCR Siilhouette. So new that My rifle is being shipped as we speak. 45-70, 30 inch hevy. barrel etc. I have MVA front and rear sights on order and the thought came to me can one also mount the hardware to have a scope on the rifle where one could shoot the iron sight match one day and the scope the next day. Or is this asking to much of the rifle and the sight packages. Thanks
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Mike, Shiloh set up my 45-100 with scope blocks for a MVA scope as well as a MVA soule sight. No problem. The changeover only takes about ten minutes. - Mike
Michael F. Roche

Post by Michael F. Roche »

Mike, thank you for the quick response, you said that it only takes ten minutes to convert. Does that mean that the sights can be removed and another 'installed" and the rifle is still "zeroed" for the on coming sights?
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Good morning guys, once you have your sight settings it will repeat very well. All you have to do is take the staff out and leave the base on the gun, also the front sight is left on the gun. Thanks Kirk
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

For ease of 'scope removal/installation, that will depend upon the type of 'scope that you purchase.

The Unertl/Lyman type mounting blocks secure the 'scopes made by MVA & Parsons Optical to the barrel. The barrel must be drilled & tapped to accept these mounting blocks. The 'scope is easily attached or removed by loosening 2 screws & sliding the 'scope & its mounts off the blocks, which remain on the barrel.

These bases are not that high, but depending on the Shooter's position, sight & its base, the blocks might interfere w/ the sight picture??

I have 2 Parsons' scopes on rifles, but removed the sights & bases so I can not speak w/ any certainty as to whether the bases will interfere/obstruct the sight picture.

If you purchase an RHO 'scope, the 'scope mounts (or mounting blocks?) are held in place in the front & rear barrel dovetail slots. Even though I had one @ one time, I can't recall how easy it is to remove & replace the RHO scope. However, w/ an RHO you will need to remove front scope mount & re-insert your front sight into the front sight dovetail slot. This is done w/ a hammer & a drift while the rifle is securely held in place & w/ some very accurate witness marks to properly place the mount or sight base.

http://www.montanavintagearms.com/

http://www.parsonsoptical.com/

http://rho.lautard.com/
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Michael, stick with the M.V.A scope, you won't be sorry. The bases will not be in the way for iorn sights, like I said before, just remove the tang sight staff and put the scope on, works well, I shoot one and have installed a pile of them. Thanks Kirk