What's a Meacham Sharps?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

taw1126

What's a Meacham Sharps?

Post by taw1126 »

My guess is a Meacham Sharps is a period conversion of military rifles and/or carbines to sporting rifle configurations. That's just a guess- can anyone set me straight?

Trey
gmartin

Meacham Sharps

Post by gmartin »

Trey,
From my copy of SHARPS FIREARMS on pp. 185 to 187 I gather this. E.C. Meacham of St. Louis recieved large #'s of converted somewhat crude sporting rifles from percussion types from the factory beginning @ 1879. After the demise of the Sharps Rifle Manufacturing Co., Meacham had conversions made as well by his own gunsmiths. "Meacham Sharps" were so called due to his advertising and sell of large numbers of these, in addition to certain characteristics that define them as such, as it seems he took the conversion farther in the process upon recieving these. It seems that a very visible "telling" characteristic was the absense of the Sharps nobs at the rear of the forearm. A list of Sharps rifles from the 1884 catalog shows converted rifles in a wide variance, from 3 band military style to saddle rifles, sporting rifles, and carbines. Wish I could share with you the pictures that would help define these as well.
Someone, alot of someones, will probably tell you much more.
Best, Gregg