CLAROXAN ?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

IronSight

CLAROXAN ?

Post by IronSight »

While waiting to have a tooth pulled in the dentists office, i picked up one of those shooting/hunting magazines off the rack - can't remember the name. There was an article indicating this Claroxan improves vision sharpness and night vision. The article was authored by a shooter who said he had good results with it.

Here's the link: http://www.turnercadmoorhealth.com/home.htm

There's also a .pdf sharpshooting article which for some reason wouldn't download.

Have any of you all heard of, tried or use this stuff ?
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
David/Mo

Post by David/Mo »

I saw something about it a couple of months ago. I did some checking and found the same thing in our pharmacy. Lots cheaper, I've been taking it a couple months. No eagle eyes yet but can't hurt. What I take is ICaps with lutein and zeaxanthin. Theres a lot of buzz in the medical field right now about anti-oxidant vitamins for eyes, probably something to it.
David/Mo (RPh)
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

Dave,
Thanks for the info! Is 'Icaps' the brand name i should be looking for in the vitamin section of the pharmacy?
My 'old binoculars' are starting to go South (no offense to any rebs out there) and i'm seriously considering trying these.
Haverde Warner

Post by Haverde Warner »

Your friendly, non-local pharmacist here--Ivites, Ocuvite are 2 brand names; I usually recommend additional lutein, also bilberry (the British gave it to their pilots in WW2) and eyebright (an herb). Haven't found any significant side effects or drug interactions with either of these.
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Mr Warner,
Would appreciate your advice. Have you tried this stuff yourself? Did you notice any improvement that you could be specific about?
Thank you.
Shoot Straight
Todd Birch

...medicinal supplements....

Post by Todd Birch »

The British also gave night fighter pilots carrot juice in WW2 to enhance visual acuity.
The net result was to turn them slightly yellowish in complexion from the carrotene, enhancing their nocturnally acquired 'pool room tans'. However, they probably didn't have many colds.

You guys going to explore the use of 'beta blockers' as well? These drugs were banned following their use by US and Russian shooting athletes at the Cairo Olympics. They prevent or retard the release of adrenalin into the blood stream.

If that's what it takes to play in the big leagues, I think 'll just be content to make good ammo, watch the wind flags and my front sight, squeeze and follow through.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Haverde Warner

Post by Haverde Warner »

I just started taking some ocular supplements myself-much too soon to comment-this would be a long term project. The carrot juice contains lots of bioflavonoids (always good for you) and good stuff for vision. Vitamin A also good, but moderation is important. The beta blockers were being used not so much to prevent adrenalin release, but to slow the heartbeat so that you could get a shot off between heartbeats. Sounds unlikely, but that's the technique; bench down behind a good 20 (or +) power scope on a heavy rifle sometime and watch the crosshairs bounce with your heartbeat! Hefty doses of antioxidants are probably also a good idea for vision preservation, if not improvement.
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

H. Warner,
Now that you mention it, when shooting my hipower centerfire rifles with a 18X + scopes, i notice the cross hairs bounce with the heart beat, thought it was only me - its a little unsettling. Can't see no harm trying the anti-oxidants for eyesight and i read somewhere they might help prevent cancers.
The beta blockers sound a little scary though - messing with heart beats! I've always lived by 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' learned the hard way more than once.
Can see it now, a 'piss in the bottle' booth at BPCR shoots.

Thanks for the info
gmartin

Sharp Shooter

Post by gmartin »

Hey all,
An article, "the" article?, in the May 2004 "American Rifleman" on page 33 by Andrew Easton explores Claroxan as a supplement. Most interesting for me was thw comment that the blend may repair the aging and damaged macular and retinal tissues. Be that it may aid shooting vision would be almost a side benefit if indeed it slows the detereoration of eye tissue for fellow mere mortals.
Gregg
Todd Birch

...anti-oxidants, beta blockers, et al.....

Post by Todd Birch »

I'm with you, Ironsight!

The day I gotta do stuff like that is the day I quit shooting.

Shooting is the last competitive sport that doesn't embrace the use of artificial stimulants, 'performance enhancing' drugs, etc.

Most clubs and ranges have rules about shooters being under the influence of mind and mood altering substances of any kind. The law has an opinion on the matter as well.

Hell, I can't even drink coffee if I really want to control my fine motor reflexes and have good trigger control!

I know we aren't talking street drugs here, but if it isn't necessary for your physical well being, is it necessary at all?

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
gmartin

EYE DEGENERATION!

Post by gmartin »

Todd and Ironsight,
Of course as a lifelong athlete I can't help but agree with you. My concern (really) is something safe that may retard eye degeneration with age.
As an aside; To help control pain, the bugaboo of an injury that quite broke my back in 1985, I MUST go down range folowing every string of shots to produce the endorphins that aid , with my meds., this personal problem. My '63 carbine from any sort of rest I choose moves very discernibly with my heart beat. As I've complained about before, the "gangster" shooting crowd surounding me where I may shoot free is a very impatient and dangerous bunch. Thus I shoot following groups before my heart beat has a chance to settle. I know, another personal problem.
Gregg
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Mr. Birch,
My sole purpose is to keep (or improve) what vision I have left. I am neither a paper puncher or sil-shooter but old age has already caught up with me. Some days are like that. Best Wishes.
Shoot Straight
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Mr. Birch,
Thank you for sharing.
Shoot Straight
Otter
Location: born and reared up in Nebraska . . . currently exciled in Arkansas

Lighten up

Post by Otter »

Mr. Birch,

You said "I know we aren't talking street drugs here, but if it isn't necessary for your physical well being, is it necessary at all?".

Being able to see more clearly isn't necessary for your physical well being? Wait until your vision becomes (and it will) less than perfect. I take vitamin supplements every day in addition to prescription medications for various afflictions, all to assist in my "physical well being". Some of those vitamins contain Lutein, purported to help with vision related "ailments". The original question had nothing to do with having a "bionic eye" transplant in order to shoot better, simply asking about a dietary supplement and if anyone had any experience with it. If you don't want to take it, fine, don't. Ironsight isn't trying to cheat, which is the implication I get from your posts. I'm not trying to pick a fight, so I apologize if I have offended you or anyone else.

Ironsight,

I have heard and read about this "wonder drug" but have no experience with it. This might get me to try it.

Shoot straight . . . Otter
Ya can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim, the mountain got its ways . . . Otter
Todd Birch

Medicinal supplements

Post by Todd Birch »

Gentlemen

Obviously a touchy topic....

Lets all go to neutral corners for a mandatory 10 count.

If you will re-read my comments, you will realize that I am in favour of supplements taken for one's physical well being. Certainly good vision is part of that.
I take a daily capsule of a multi-vitamin that includes Lutein. I've been doing this for years without knowing the benefits this might be having on my vision. I recently had an eye exam and was told that my vision and eye health are exemplary, not for a person my age (61) but for anyone.
This might explain why I prefer the use of iron sights under most conditions.
Ironically, I need reading glasses to sit at the computer and to see the adjustments on a vernier sight ladder.
I also take daily ibuprofen for a lower back condition. I began doing this when I took up marathon runing in my mid-forties. This enables me to do daily mountain bike rides that would cripple most people and until very recently, I was competing in multi-discipline (running, kayaking, hiking, biking) endurance races as the "old man" of the event.

My concerns centre around the modern propensity for taking a pill for everything that ails us. The placebo effect aside, there is an area for concern here motivated in some by the desire to win, not just do the activity. Shooters are athletes in every respect of the word, be they recreational or professional.

The ultimate example of this are the modern Olympic games where it becomes a matter of who is the most successful at avoiding illegal drug detection.

It is simply a matter of ethical concern and a desire to see shooting remain a "drug free" domain wherein on any given day, the best man wins.

Surely we agree on that.

Regards, Todd