New MVA blow tubes!

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Omaha Poke

New MVA blow tubes!

Post by Omaha Poke »

Just got the new MVA blow tubes for my Shiloh .45-70 and .45-110 and man are they nice :!: :D Kenny W gave a little blurb about them on one of his posts, so I contacted them and had two sent out.

They appear to be machined out of Aluminum which is given a nice gold anodizing and fitted with a nice plastic type tube. Each one has an "O" ring that makes them fit snug but easily in the chamber for a good seal and is marked with the caliber. Look forward to using one this week end at our Custer, WA shoot. Just the high quality item you would expect from MVA. :lol: I am going to order a couple more for 3 other calibers. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Randy, I picked up one of these things at Big Timber last week at the Quigley shoot. They are really nice but I had a problem while I was on the line with the O-ring. The O-ring caused tube to get stuck in the chamber and I pulled the plastic hose off the tube during the extraction attempt. I had to get a fired case and use it's rim to pull this thing out. I was doing all of this while the other guys were shooting and I needed to be blowing. Fortunately I was able to keep my routine up and it didn't cause me to miss the shot. After the relay, I cut the O-ring off and had no further problems. I still think this is a big improvement over my copper tube soldered on the case thing. It indeed seems to be crush-proof and all of the ends of my old case/blowtubes are bent to hell. I REALLY like this tube-just be wary of the O-ring.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Tas, I was wondering about that, but haven't had a chance to test it yet :!: The thing I like about it the most, I guess, is the fact that like you say it is vertually dent proof, and anti-corrosive. I hate having to clean my blow tube. It requires more work than the rest of the cases combined after a long match, or if I forgot to drop it in the bucket of soap.

I will be on guard for the "O" ring problem you spoke of. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Joe Burr

Post by Joe Burr »

Omaha Poke,

Tell me about the shoot at Custer, I am just over the border in Abbotsford!! :shock:
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Joe, just got back from the Custer shoot and it was a lot of fun. 9 shooters on the line, I was surprised it was not more what with the excellent weather, but we had a lot of fun.

We shoot chickens and turkeys at 200 yds, and pigs and rams at 200 meters. All targets are scaled down to match the distance. Those little tiny rams at 200 meters were hard to see today, what with them being painted white and the background was a light sand. I missed three just because I couldn't see them well enough to get a clear sight picture.

Larry Basset won the match, I believe he had a 32, one of my shooting pards today came in second with a 28, and three of us tied at 24. I got my 24 without benefit of hitting a single chicken. They kept ducking :D :wink: :!:

Larry puts on the shoot, and it is a relaxed fun shoot that everyone enjoys.

The range is easy to get to. Take exit 270, and since you will be coming south, turn left over I-5 and travel about 3/4 miles and you will find the range directly on your left. Register about 9am and start shooting at 10 am.

You, I am sure would be more than welcome to come and shoot with us, It is the 4th Sunday of every month. There are some top quality shooters there, and all the folks are top notch too. Look forward to seeing you there, Randy
Randy Ruwe
Joe Burr

Post by Joe Burr »

Omaha Poke,

I used to shoot Cowboy Action at Custer up until a couple of years ago. After 9/11, it just was crazy to cross the border to go shooting. Unfortunately, I have let it go too long and have missed out spending time with good friends South of the border. I have decided enough is enough, and have put it for my ATF paperwork to come down South again.

I wasn't aware they had anything serious in the way of BPCR shooting on the go there. I will definitley have to come down and check it out. Thanks a bunch! :D

Joe Burr
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

I haven't seen these blow tubes up close , but with the ones i have made out of fired cases , i have found that it you run the plastic tube about 1/16 to 1/8 inch beyond the case mouth you get more moisture into the barrel and don't have to clean out the caseing at all ! JAGG
JAGG
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

JAGG, one of the nicest things about these blow tubes is that they don't corrode :!: . They fit the chamber perfectly, and deliver a goodly amount of moisture to the barrel where it is needed. The "O" ring keeps the fit snug, and from what I saw using it this weekend, the chamber stays free of moisture.

Two problems that I had with my own homemade blowtubes were moisture in the chamber, and corrosion of the blowtube itself if not immediately cleaned after shooting. All I did with the MVA tube was give it a quick wipe with a dry paper towell, and it was back to new condition.

If I had a metal lathe and were able to annodize, it would be a simple procedure to make my own, but for the price, you can't beat it, unless you are able to make them yourself. :D Randy
Randy Ruwe
geronimo.tn

Post by geronimo.tn »

I couldn't find the blow tube on the MVA website, where did you fellas get yours?
woodpuppy

Post by woodpuppy »

I've gathered on the forum what a blow tube IS, but why do you need one? Wiping the bore of a muzzleloader with a damp patch between shots ensures no embers remain when you dump your next powder charge in, and also keeps fouling down. But just blowing :?:
Tasmanian Rebel

geronimo, Shiloh sells them.
Tasmanian Rebel

Woodpuppy, one blows through these guns to humidify/hydrate the powder fouling to aid the next bullet's passage down the bore. If done correctly, the fouling will hydrate properly and act as sort of a lubricant. If not done well, accuracy will go down the tubes. Some people take instruments to the range to measure humidity and blow accordingly a number of breaths according to the numbers.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Just for information, don't buy one for a Rolling Block if it is .45-90 or longer. I did, and it won't fit due to the length of the shank that the actual clear plastic tube attaches to. That was disappointing, but the other 4 tubes that I bought for other rifles and calibers work perfectly, and stay very clean. Randy
Randy Ruwe