45-70 loads w/Goex fff

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gpeak

45-70 loads w/Goex fff

Post by gpeak »

Has anyone out there developed any 45-70 loads using Goex fff? I have several pounds available that I use with my Ferguson flintlock and it would be nice to standardize since I have been very satisfied with Goex and am a guy who likes to simplify life.
I have been shooting blackpowder for years but am new to bpcr so any info would be much appreciated. I have not yet ordered any bullets but am looking at the 400 gr range plus or minus for shooting out to 200 yds.
Craig

Straight shooting, straight talk.....the mark of a man.
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

im a hunter and use open sights, you may get much better loads from others , but i use a 400 grain bullet with gas check that i had from years before i bought my sharps.. at 65 yards i shot a 3/4 inch group with 66 grains of 3f goex at 37 degrees.. my redcords show bullet lenght was about 2.656,..... 459 sizer, and 459 expander, with hornady gas check.. the lead was 25-1 lead to tin ratio.. i use a very light crimp and always check bullet diameter after it has been loaded(without powder!!) and pulling it out with pliers when up possition of press and pull down on case.. then mike the bullet and make sure case and crimp arnt undersizeing bullet.. .. oh and winchester standard rifle primers... trim your cases to the same lenght , and dont let them go very long.. i trim them each time jsut so i dont get any crimp differences or forget a bunch of them and get them mixxed up.. put cases in detergent water as soon as possible after shooting.. crimp increases or decrases pressure, just like adding subtracting powder to a degree.fiddle with the crimp to get accuracy.. .use blow tube betwween shots.. the number of blows will give best groups,, and changes with weather and temperature.. one cold day a couple winters ago i couldnt hit a barn and finally it took 11 blows to get accuracy.. i suspected the 3fg.. but who knows.. some say 3f makes for more fouling.. muzzeloaders can be the opposite.. dave..
gpeak

Post by gpeak »

Thanks Dave!
Your load is a good place for me to start. Will load up a batch and give em a try. Interesting point about 3f versus 2f fouling. I wonder what experiences others have had? I see from the forum that a lot of guys like 2f in 45-110 but that is a lot bigger cartridge with different loading needs. I have a lot to learn about bpcr! But that is part of the fun.
Craig

Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

In my Shiloh .45-70 w/34' bbl. my load is 70.0 gr. (weighed) of Goex "fff", Steve Brooks c'more {sp} RP brass Fed #210-m pri. no crimp, .060 wad and bullet is seated to cover all grease groves...... This load crono's at 1220fps ave. {10 shots} and my extreme spread will ave.12-14 fps., my powder comp. is about .350 poured slow through a 24''drop tube and I use DGL lube( bullets are as cast and pan lubed)
Here in the Calif. high desert, and lots of blow tube I can shoot 50 rnds. and clean the bbl. w/4 patches and "Windex" with vinegar and no leading from my 30/1 alloy. Plus, I get a great "lube star".This is a very tight shooting { the best I found so far} load in my Sharps. Hope this helps some..........
HvyMtl

45/70 & fff

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi Craig

If you go to the Shooter to Shooter forum, under attention all accomplished shooters there are shooters listing their loads. You might find one that can help you.

Good luck

Ken
gpeak

Post by gpeak »

Thanks guys!
I love this forum. Always good stuff and a wide diversity of views and experience.Looks like I'm on my way. Cant wait to roll some of my own!
Have only been able to shoot smokeless so far but have had great results accuracy wise. But then the Shiloh will always shoot better than these ol eyes ever will. Still, have shot better than I thought. Just eggs you on!
Craig

Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

gpeak:

Here is another link for 45-70 loads. It may or may not be helpful as most of the loads are for the, "White Stuff".

Anyway, here it is:

http://www.reloadersnest.com/rifle.asp

Hope it helps,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"