factory BPCR loads

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

woodpuppy

factory BPCR loads

Post by woodpuppy »

Hi, does anyone have experience with:

[url]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true[/url]

any other good sources for the BPCR novice?
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I didnt type in all that stuff to see where it goes but isnt that cabelas obsolete ammo if it is I got a part box in trade and it went bang
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

Then there is Black Dawge
http://www.stewartdawge.com/products.htm

and Buffalo Arms
http://www.buffaloarms.com

All of whom sell black powder ammo that I expect would go "bang" even though I haven't tried it myself.

But BPCR is pretty much the natural home of the handloader (and bullet caster) especially if you want to shoot one of the target events.

The commercial stuff is probably ok to see if the gun works and for moderate range period style hunting but is expensive to buy in any quantity and might not be sufficiently accurate in your rifle.
woodpuppy

Post by woodpuppy »

Thanks for the replies- I clearly haven't figured out how to create a web link on this forum;

powderburner, that is what I was asking about.

Jim Watson, I am still trying to decide on which Shiloh to order; as such, I've got a 14 month wait anyway! I'm just trying to collect links and info, and I plan to handload for it eventually.

BTW, I have a Lee Load Master progessive press. It handles .45acp fine, do you think it would handle .45-70 brass? Would I need to perform each action on a batch of brass as though it were a single stage?

thanks
Dave
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

batch loading bp ctgs is how it is done it is almost impossible to progressive reload them
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

I think you can place an order with Shiloh and keep revising it until pretty far along in the wait. Ask.

I know people who load BPC on progressives, but they usually set up two head plates and only do a couple of operations per pass.
Me? I have a bench full of progressives accumulated over 30+ years, but the .38-55s come off the Rockchucker one step at a time.
Lee now has a large iron press for not too much money that would probably do better than a Loadmaster.