Bore Butter????

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Wainer

Bore Butter????

Post by Wainer »

Ya'll probably talked about this before but what's the straight skinny on using TC Bore Butter for seasoning and after cleaning use? I've heard good and bad about it. I bought some for my new Shiloh but have not used it yet. Thanks, Don
The tomb is still empty.Peace brother.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

I have utilized Bore Butter for several years in the bore & chambers w/o any bad results. Of course, I apply a liberal coating & my Armoury Vault is heated year round w/ a golden rod as well as the largeest-sized “Bull Frog Emitter Shield” hanging among the long arms.

http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com/

http://www.bull-frog.com/
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: Wainer, I use Bore Butter or Wonder-Lube between relays after running a couple of patches through the barrel. After a match the barrel is cleaned with Windex & Vinegar, dry patched and then lubed with Breakfree or Clean-Oil. I have used Kroil to lube a barrel before storing a rifle with no ill effects. Before shooting fouling shots at the range I do push a dry patch through a rifle to clean most of the oil out of the barrel. Rbump
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

I have read a few discussions about Bore Butter, as I use it in my front stuffer. As long as the barrel is CLEAN, a coat of Bore Butter keeps it clean. I had my front stuffer hung on the wall for over a year with a coat of BB in it, and ran a patch down it to check on it, and it was just the BB yellow. No rust or anything.

Just last week, I shot my first black powder loads through my Pedersoli Sharps, and cleaned it the same way I did my flintlock. (put the muzzle in a bucket of warm soapy water, and ran patches up and down the barrel from the breech to suck water up into the barrel.) Once the barrel is clean, smear some BB on a patch and run it down the bore.

I think the people that have experienced rust or other tarnishing, just didn't have the barrel cleaned properly, and the corrosion happened UNDER the coat of BB
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Matthew Q: I think you hitt he key issue--"As long as the barrel is CLEAN, a coat of Bore Butter keeps it clean."