Rookie Sight Question

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bob Horton

Rookie Sight Question

Post by Bob Horton »

I am in the process of ordering a Shiloh rifle. I have always found shooting to be more interesting when involved in competition and plan on shooting matches, I see that there is a match in Avenal and that would be reasonably close. Anyway, is the Soule sight different than a"buffalo" sight in the windage adjustment at the base? Would a long range Soule sight be the way to go? I would rather buy once and get what I need. I read that these sights cannot be click adjustable and that the adjustment direction of the Baldwin are like those of an Anschutz while the MVA is like a Service Rifle. Any of this sound about right?

Thanks

Bob
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Bob, there's more info on this forum about sights than you can read in a week. Do a search for the following to get you started; MVA, Ron Heilman, Kelley, Hoke, tang sights, and soule just to name a few. You will get so much reading you will be amazed.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Bob Horton

Post by Bob Horton »

Thanks. I've been reading several sight discussions and still wasn't sure what makes a sight a "soule".

Bob
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

the soule sight has an adjustable base for windage with knobs on each side to move it the MVA buffalo is a soule but has about 40 minutes of windage on it rather than the 25 or so with a standard soule type
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Bob Horton

Post by Bob Horton »

Thanks Dean. I couldn't find a discussion that explained the difference.

Bob
Jubilado

Post by Jubilado »

There is also some good information at the web sites for the companies that make the sights, MVA and Hoke come to mind.

Paul
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

I don't shoot Highpower, to know for sure, but Baldwin tang sights have left-hand threads so that turning the knobs clockwise lowers the elevation and moves windage left.

My Shaver has right-hand threads such that turning the knobs clockwise raises elevation and moves windage right. I think MVA is the same.

Adjustment is by vernier scale on elevation, graduated to .010" which is about one MOA with the usual BPCR sight radius, and the Soule drum is graduated in half or even quarter minute increments.
Bob Horton

Post by Bob Horton »

Thanks Jim and Paul. That info helped a lot.

Bob