Bullet tests, NON SCIENTIFIC of Course

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger Dr

Bullet tests, NON SCIENTIFIC of Course

Post by Trigger Dr »

Af6ter reading eseveral posts some of which have to do with which bullet is best , blunt or pointed, for hunting, I decided to experiment a bit.I cast a group of bullets lyman 457132 and picked out 30 that weighed exactly 536 gr. Then I cast a group of my modified lyman 457406 and picked out a group of 30 that weighed exactly 510 gr. The 457406 is a gas check bullet, but I had the gas check area removed to make a wide driving band at the base. I fired over the Chrony to get avg velocity of each. The
457132 averaged 1147 with an e s of 22 fps. giving 1566.2 Ft Pounds energy at 15 feet from muzzle. The 457406M aveaged 1179 with an e s of 17 fps. Giving 1574.5 ft Pounds energy at 15 feet from muzzle. Shooting at 50 yards I obtained the following results. The 457406M penetrated 16.5" into tightly packed WET newspaper.
The expansion was good and weight retention varied 9.7 gr from 510 to 500.3.
On the other hand, the 457132 penetrated completely through 24" of tightly packed WET newspaper, exiting the far side. I was only able to recover i bullet that then impacted into the earth about 5". It was greatly deformed and had lost22.7 grains in weight. the exit hole was about 60 caliber so It did deform somewhat while in the paper.

My final guess is that the blunt bullet having a higher velocity and slightly more energy would be the better bullet for disapating energy IN THE BODY of the animal.

The postell bullet having slightly less energy, but a better penetration would be great If you had to get DEEP into the body cavity such as one might find in large African game.
Just my thoughts and findings.

Lets hear your ideas on this.
Jim Milner ( Trigger Dr_) :o :D :lol:
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

Thanks for that test conclusion Trigger DR., I love hearing about other's personal research and development. Its part of what makes this forum so great. I was particularly surprised by the penetration of the postell, I doubt if an '06 could drill through that much newsprint unless it had a fmj. :shock:
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

T Dr ! You should try the 457124 bullet as it will give you 1350fps ! If you want to HP or FN it that's no problem either ! JAGG
JAGG
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

I made a post about this subject a month or so back, and made the statment that 1500 ft lbs of energy is 1500 ft lbs of energy regardless of the bullet shape. :oops: :oops: :oops: Well that is true, but based on my test, the difference is what happens to the energy when the bullet hits the target. :idea: If the energy is expended totally in the body of the target, obviously it will be more effective than when the energy is carried through and then expended in the dirt on the other side.
Jagg, I have tried the 457124 and found it to work very well. As far as the higher velocity, I really am happy with the 1140 to 1200 area and will stay there for now.
Thanks all for your reading this bit of .......Stuff?
Jim MIlner Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation