Weaver ETX Spotting Scope

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

sackett

Weaver ETX Spotting Scope

Post by sackett »

Anyone seen or tried the Weaver ETX spotting scopes. I haven't seen any in person, but the 90mm looks like a nice scope for under $300.

Sackett
pfeist

Post by pfeist »

Weaver ETX? Or Meade ETX?

I wasn't aware that Weaver made one..
The Meade ETX (Maksutov-Cassegrain type) look pretty good on paper, and got a good review in Precision Shooter (or was it Accurate Rifle?) a couple years ago.

Of course, that all applies to the Meade ETX scopes.
If the Weaver is a different animal, then forget I said anything :-)

Paul F.
sackett

Post by sackett »

It is Weaver ETX, but it might be the same as the Meade because they now own Weaver. It looks good on paper, but I haven't been able to find one locally look through.

http://www.binoculars.com/products/Weav ... 17972.html

Sackett
decook2k

Post by decook2k »

Sackett and pfeist they are exactly the same thing, except they "painted" the scope from Meade blue to Weaver green. I own an LX200 for astromonomical telescope by Meade. It has some warts in the drive system, but this will not apply to a spotter scope. ETX optics are the same as the LX200, superb in every way.

The optics are made so well in fact that you need to treat them like the precision tool they are to maintain their light transmission capabilities. By this I mean cleaning. First rule of thumb is, don't. Second rule of thumb is, if you do have to clean them, do NOT use paper or cloth, use a fine camel's hair brush, and use small sweeping motions in one direction only.
Be very careful with clean compressed air. Spray off to the side first, then the optics and never - ever - tilt the can.

If you really have to deep clean with solution, use this link for a kit you can purchase: http://www.optcorp.com/cart/ProductDeta ... uctID=1952

=dc