Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Tenmm

Post by Tenmm »

I'm starting to squirrel some money away for a Sharps, specificaly, the Quigley model. I havent ordered it yet, I'd like to have a little more money set aside for it first. I've not done much with blackpowder, thought I'm going to load some for my .45 colt, just to get the hang of it while I'm waiting. Any advice before I jump the rest of the way in?
thanks!
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

Good to see another person that likes the Shilo Sharps Rifles. You have the time and you should read all the posts on this site.
The .45 Colt is a long way from any of the Sharps calibers.
There is a learning curve for the rifle cartridges that you can shorten by reading SPG BP Cartridge Reloading Primer by Mike Venturino and Steve Garby. It is a little dated but the information is good. Another is Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West by Mike Venturino.
Life is to short to shoot an ugly rifle.
sharps5090

Post by sharps5090 »

Tenmm,
If you are close to Palmer, send me a pm and we can get together to try out a Shiloh with Blackpowder. Welcome to the the sport!
Chris
Tenmm

Post by Tenmm »

I've been browsing over this forum for a couple weeks, picking up whatever I can without actually asking. I figured it was time to actually ask. As for the .45 colt, I thought it might be better to have a little experience with BP, rather than none at all, might be fun too!
thanks for the replies!
don marable

Quigley

Post by don marable »

Tenmm:

You will enjoy a Sharps. Nothing like it. The Quigley is a great rifle. It is so traditional looking with the straight stock. Also, you will be favorably impressed with the metal to wood fit and the case hardened finish. You will not find a better quality rifle.

That being said, if you get the 45-110 caliber Quigley it will kick the hell out of you. I can speak from experience on this matter as I own one.

To me, the recoil of the 45-110 is about the equal of shooting a 3-inch magnum shot gun in a pump type gun. The small military butt plate on the Quigley accenuates felt recoil. All that being said, it is one fine piece of equipment. I am a large guy, 6 foot one inch by 245 pounds. I use a Rand recoil pad or a Shooters Friend recoil pad for target shooting, and I am going to use some type of slip over pad for hunting, although when I am shooting at animals I have never been bothered by recoil.

I just wanted to add this to your information bank.

Don
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

I have to agree with Don on this one. I just picked up a 45-110 LRE last Wednesday and shot it at Alliance, NE this weekend and if you are at all recoil sensitive it's not the cartridge to go with. In a 13 to 14 pound gun it will definetly give you a good shove when you pull the trigger. That being said I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's a great shooter and a blast to shoot (ask the guys that had to shoot next to me on the line, I think the muzzle blast was getting to them :lol: ). I also think the straight military stock would make it fairly unpleasent to shoot in competition without a good thick recoil pad. I was also shooting my 16 pound #3 45-110 this weekend and the difference in felt recoil between these guns is amazing. If you don't have an objection to a lot of recoil the 45-110 is something that you will never regret owning.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Tenmm:

I have been using a Rand Elite shoulder recoil pad from Buffalo Arms and have found it to be extremely efficient and effective at muting the recoil sufficiently to eliminate any soreness or bruising from recoil. It can also help you keep from developing a flinch.

Here is Buffalo Arms page for all of their recoil pads:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,166.html

Here is the page for the recoil pad I use. It is thin enough that it could be easily worn under a shirt or jacket if so desired:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,1985.html
Lee Stone
Tenmm

Post by Tenmm »

I knew the major drawback of posting was you guys getting me all excited!
Recoil hasnt been much of an issue for me, and I've done some bench time with .338 win and .300 RUMs. It does sound like a recoil pad would be a good thing to have though. i suppose a pachymyer Decelerator on a Sharps would look funny.
don marable

45-110 Recoil

Post by don marable »

Tenmm:

Please remember the Quigley has the small military butt plate. It is a steel butt plate that is 4-3/8 inches by 1 3/8 inches. I do not think of myself as being recoil sensitive, but the first shot I fired out of the Quigley made a bruise on my shoulder that was sore for weeks. I'm telling you the Quigley 45-110 will kick the hell out of you.

That being said, take into consideration that I am a 65 year old guy, and my tough days, such as ranger school, are far removed into my long term memory.

All of the above being said, it is the finest rifle that I own, and the cool factor and the fun factor are just off scale on these rifles. I shoot at a private rifle range, and I can hardly shoot for being interupted by other shooters. When you let off a 45-110 round on a cool damp morning the nitro shooters will come running with a fire extinguisher.

These rifles are expensive, so buy what you want and have a blast.

Good shooting,

Don
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

If y'all wouldn't mind one more comment on the Rand Elite shoulder recoil shield I mentioned in my post above. It has one of these new space age closed cell foam interiors that absorbs the recoil amazingly. Before I got one (I now carry three in my range box, my regular one and two for guests shooting with me), two boxes of .45/70 would leave my shoulder sore and by the next day darkly bruised (being on aspirin therapy I bruise rather easily). Since using the recoil shield, I have not experienced the slightest soreness nor the least hint of bruising regardless of how many rounds I fired or what calibre. All day sessions firing .45/70 or .45/90 no longer produce any sort of discomfort, only fun. And, as I mentioned above, the shoulder worn recoil shield is thin enough that I can and do sometimes wear it under my shirt when for some reason I prefer it not to look out of the way. I very much enjoy shooting these rifles and I shoot them for fun. I do not consider a sore and bruised shoulder the next day fun.

Also, after receiving some very considerate and experienced advice from Rdnck and Kirk about the recoil potential of the .50/90 Sporter #1 I currently have in production right now, I asked Kirk to install a Braco mercury tube recoil reducer in the stock. I am counting on that plus my Rand Elite recoil shield to keep this rifle fun to shoot rather than a source of concussion headaches. However, since the stock of a Quigley already has a cut in it for the patchbox, I do not know if mounting a mercury tube in its stock would be feasible. Kirk could answer that. My .45/90 Hartford is made up to be a Quigley and thus has the patchbox. But there is no need of the mercury tube in it. But a mercury tube just might be beneficial in a .45/110. However, there are several shooters on this Forum who shoot .45/110 and do not have mercury tubes in them and they shoot them very, very well. So that is an individual call. I merely mentioned it as food for thought. Of course if the .45/110 is to be used in competition, then the weight of the rifle must be a factor. So as I said, just food for thought.
Lee Stone
wwben47

Post by wwben47 »

Hey Tenmm..Not a whole lot of experience here..but thought I would throw in my two cents..The Rand pads are good..but on a hot day the straps bother me. I shoot some full house loads in my 45/70 and occasionally shoot Buckeye Shooters 110 while he regains his senses...I put one of Harlan Sages "Butt Ugly Butt Pads" on either rifle and even the 110 is pleasant to shoot. They slip on and off easily so you only need one and they work great and take up less room. Great product at a very reasonable price.
Shoot it?..I caint even see it!