Front sights that take Anschutz Inserts?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pfeist

Front sights that take Anschutz Inserts?

Post by pfeist »

I'm doing some "advanced" planning... not having ordered a rifle yet...

Are there any windage adjustable sights that will fit and function on a Shiloh Sharps that take standard 18mm or 22mm Anschutz or Gehman apertures and accessories (filters, lenses, etc)?

I know that there are a great variety of high quality sights available that come with their own apertures and posts... but I happen to have quite a few 18 and 22mm apertures and accessories from shooting Highpower and Smallbore that I could put to use!

It would be one less set of apertures to get confused!

Paul F.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Paul,

Sorry you have run into a bit of bad luck with this issue, none of the current BPCR front sights take the style you mention. As for filters and lenses these are strictly forbidden in NRA BPCR competitons, Most buffalo matchs that I know of dont allow these also.

A Traditional BPCR front sight with out windage adjustment is not bad and less then 180 bucks including the apertures. Most BPCR shooters use a soule type of sight or a Mike Lewis style rear sight, with the windage in it. If you plan on LR shooting get a rear sight with at least 40 MOA of Right and left Windage. :wink:

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Paul,

Sorry you have run into a bit of bad luck with this issue, none of the current BPCR front sights take the style you mention. As for filters and lenses these are strictly forbidden in NRA BPCR competitons, Most buffalo matchs that I know of dont allow these also.

A Traditional BPCR front sight with out windage adjustment is not bad and less then 180 bucks including the apertures. Most BPCR shooters use a soule type of sight or a Mike Lewis style rear sight, with the windage in it. If you plan on LR shooting get a rear sight with at least 40 MOA of Right and left Windage. :wink:

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
pfeist

Post by pfeist »

Kenny;
That's kinda what I was afraid of...

But lenses and filters not being legal for competition isn't a big problem... I wasn't planning on using those particular accessories for competition, just informal shooting.

Oh well.. maybe I'll try making a front sight with a 22mm thread..
I haven't made enough chips on my lathe lately to keep it happy anyway.

Paul F.
Vbull

Post by Vbull »

Paul,
An alternative would be to make or find an adapter for the sight base. I have one mounted on a muzzleloader. It is 3/8" dovetail for the slot on the barrel, and has the sight block on top of it. I can drift the sight in the slot to get my windage zero.
The sight is removeable by sliding it off the base. In my case it is a redfield 63 sight, but I think the Anscheutz will also fit this base. I've never tried to put other sights on this base.
Unless you already have the sights, the best thing is to use a traditional front sight. It would look strange with the modern setup on top of the rifle. I can see the modern sights on a schuetzen rifle where it is used for both scope and iron sight class. Easty to swap sights around. I intend to set up my next schuetzen rifle this way. Frank Monikowski