to refurbish or not.....

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

woodpuppy

to refurbish or not.....

Post by woodpuppy »

I posted a topic in 1863 support looking for opinions on refurbing an 1863- if you have any thoughts, please talk my ear off!

Dave
Montana Roughrider .45-70
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

As I posted on the other forum, if you want to shoot it, just get it re-barreled & keep the original barrel.

Probably a good welder or some one who knows what he/she is doing could melt the solder in the flash channel.

If you don't want to shoot it, just bring it out for 'show & tell.'

I would be tempted to obtain a factory letter considering it's a martial arm, who knows where its been or to whom issued....
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
BobinIL

Post by BobinIL »

If you decide to refurbish it contact Doug Turnbull, He did my sharps business rifle that belonged to my great grandfather. It spent about 50 years in the attic of an old farm house until my dad retrieved it in the 50's. the metal finish was getting pretty rusty but the bore and stock were still good. Doug worked a miracle on it. It is absolutly beautiful.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/ ... harps1.jpg
KHR

Post by KHR »

BobinIL,
Beautiful rifle!
I have some guns I'm considering sending turnbull, how much did he charge and what did he do?
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
KHR

Post by KHR »

woodpuppy
one other thing you might consider is having the barrel relined so you can shoot it. Just have to check if the conant seal and block is ok and still functioning. Bobby Hoyt is famous for relining civil war muskets, perhaps he has done carbines.
Another possibility is to save the original barrel & block and have it rebarreled as a 50/70 carbine conversion. then it would be shootable and keep value. I'm having my 45/110 bridgeport rebarreled in 40/70ss to use as a shiloette gun and am keeping the original barrel and forearm so all can be sold together (though a sale is not a real posibility)
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
BobinIL

Post by BobinIL »

Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

BobinIL:

Wow what a killer rifle. You are very fortunite to have such a wonderful family heirloom. Thanks for sharing that with us.

I hope someday some future family member of mine will be able to have something that nice to show to collectors.

Take Care,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"