Carryig ammo in the field

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Scott Tschirhart

Carryig ammo in the field

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Ok, I have decided to hunt only with my Shiloh this year. I have a good load and my sights are cut for it.

Now, how do you guys carry ammo on a hunt? One of the big buffalo belts looks nice, but I would never have cause to shoot that much ammo and the fully loaded belt would have to weigh quite a bit. Not good for someone who loves to hunt on foot.

How do you boys carry ammo on a hunt?
Old Doe Shooter

Post by Old Doe Shooter »

Scott
Use either a butt stock shell holder or a one that slips on a belt. If you get leather you can soak it and dry to shrink fit to your case size if it's a little sloppy.
Make sure it's snug, those elastic ones slip off with no sling studs or sling on the 1874's so I've gone to leather. Just remove when the hunt is over so you don't leave marks on your wood.
Have fun.
Orville

Post by Orville »

Shiloh used to sell a cartridge holder that held 12 rounds with a leather flap that protected the rounds it slipped on your belt. May be c sharps still sells it.
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

CAbellas and Sportsman warehouse both sell a neat leather belt slide that holds 5 or 6 rounds. there is a flap closure to protect the rounds as well.
I don't know how well they would work for someone who loads with thumb pressure seating only.
Jim
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Brent

Post by Brent »

This is what works for me. The breast pockets hold 5 or 6 rounds easily. Even if just thumb seated. Easy access, safe and protected in any weather. Wear over or under a jacket or whatever. A half dozen addition rounds in another pocket or pack and you are ready to go.

This is a Filson Cruiser vest and it's pretty darn well made.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Conan_568

Post by Conan_568 »

I've got a Filson coat, and the things are built like a tank.
Like Brent said for thumb seated bullets they're great.
Depending on the length of your cartridges you could put something below so you don't pull the bullet out of the case.
I like guns, knives and having a job.
That's why I vote conservative.
Scott Tschirhart

Thanks for the replies. A good friend offered to make me a canvas belt slide which I will just bet will be perfect.

Thanks again.
Just me and Big Nose Kate
The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

:oops: I decided NOT to wear my cartridge belt, even partally loaded, not that all 48 loops need a cartridge. I used a 5 round plastic holder that I kept in my pocket with my hunting license...... well I can tell you that these do not work well, cuz when you pull them out.... your hunting license goes flying in the wind....... end of hunt. :oops:
The Montanan

"I don't care what a person shoots, as long as he shoots it well"
Oregon Bill

Post by Oregon Bill »

Agree that a belt full of shells looks fab for the picture taking, but you might as well add rocks to your pockets in terms of surplus weight. You can of course elect only to put five or six shells in the belt, and fill a few more loops with fired cases, as would have been the case if you encountered someone coming off a stand in buffalo days.
You can make or buy a six- or eight-cartridge belt slide out of a rectangle of vegetable tanned saddle leather folded over. El Paso used to sell a nice flapped slide-on holder for 8 or 10 shells.
The Filson vest is a good way to go. I know how well they stand up, having cruised timber in it for several summers back in high school (a looong time ago) and I still have my vest, tattered but functional.
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

I bought a elastic cartridge holder that fits on the butt stock and it holds 9 rounds. So far it is working fine. I have used a wrist band that holds 5 and it works fine except it causes me to sweat and it gets uncomfortable after a long hike. But on the plus side you can do a reload very fast from it, almost made your gun sound like a semi auto :)
Brent

Post by Brent »

One other way to carry ammo that I have not done, but would work very well, is a small muzzleloaders shoulder bag. Can put a few other extras in there like a small camera or a change of socks too.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Leatherstocking

Post by Leatherstocking »

Scott,
I bought some heavy saddle leather and built a cartridge box using canvas webbing to hold the rounds inside. It was a simple proceedure where I merely bent rectangular cut leather over like a folder stitched a piece to the back half that was half the size of the total, but leaving the top open (half piece) or in otherwords, (stitched sides and bottom) for additional storage. Before I sewed the half piece to the back inside of the "box" and also sewing a belt loop to outside, I then sewed two pieces of webbing togather to accomidate 8 rounds of 45-70 and then the webbing to the inside back. I then added a brass stud to the front flap attached a small strap to the back piece that would wrap around to the front, securing to the stud........................

This sounds sorta complicated...however when you make a pattern, it will become rather simple and obvious.

I also carry a "haversack" these days as opposed to the old days when I carried a "fanny pack" or daypack. I usually carry a few extra rounds there as well......just in case! Always the Boy Scout!

Good hunting and be Blessed!
Doug
"Fear God and take your own part" Theodore Roosevelt

Shiloh Business 45-70
Scott Tschirhart

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
dakotasharps

Post by dakotasharps »

Since I've never needed more than 1 shot per season, I am having trouble understanding why anyone thinks they need to carry extra ammunition in the field, unless of course you have more than one tag.

In that case, if it were a more traditonal family red neck style hunt, I'd probably opt to carry the other round as sort of a center piece in my hat band. On a more upscale and sophisticated safari style hunt I'd probably have my personal ammunition bearer carry it behind me in its own velvet lined case. :lol:
Scott Tschirhart

"Since I've never needed more than 1 shot per season, I am having trouble understanding why anyone thinks they need to carry extra ammunition in the field . . ."

Well, I guess you are just so far ahead of us mere mortals that you need not be troubled with such things.

Oh, I get it! This is one of them fellers who beats his bear into submission! Man, that had almost entirely slipped my mind.